QLD IP in north brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Katemonty, 3rd Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Katemonty

Katemonty Member

Hi brain trust,
    Budget of max 750k. Seriously looking to buy IP in north brisbane ( Bald Hills, Strapine, Petrie, Bray Park, Kallangur, North Lake). The question is whether the proximity to CBD should be focused such as Bald Hills, Bray Park) or the infrastructure (North Lake / Kallangur). Aiming for rental yield of at least 4% with prioritization of capital growth. Please share your opinions! Thanks in advance.

2. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

I think infrastructure for sure. Buying blind out in these suburbs without knowing the "parts" is dangerous however. If you ask them in the Kallangur thread for eg, you can get local knowledge from other users.

3. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

I think infrastructure out of those 2 options.

Other things to consider would be
    demand to supply ratio
    market cycle timing
    percentage of renters
    vacancy rate
    demographic of each suburb
    household incomes
    past performance of growth
    walk score
    primary public transport
    public housing
    typical property type for each suburb

Choose the suburbs that highlight the best data or standout

Investor1111, Justin_mo and MJS1034 like this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb. Brisbane council. Not flood affected. As close to CBD as can afford.

ndpjai likes this.
  5. Cate81

Cate81 Well-Known Member

I would go distance to CBD personally. I like Bald Hills out of those choices..has quite a bit of charm to it apart from name.

6. The Artisan

The Artisan Well-Known Member

Bald Hills is probably the pick of the bunch but need to stay away from the highways. Strathpine has nearly doubled in 2 years, infrastructure is great. Petrie has some lovely streets and an old town feel in some areas along with friendly neighbours. Bray Park is a great family oriented area, up there with Bald Hills. Kallangur and North Lakes have done well but just that extra bit further out so you have to deal with considerable traffic now. Kallangur still has a few social problems and stigma floating about so I'd prefer North Lakes out of the two. Just my opinion of course...

7. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

All of the suburbs you have listed have doubled in price since 2017.

I have places in Bald Hills, Petrie, Strathpine and Bracken Ridge.

Bald Hills is probably the most popular with FHBs and owner occupiers followed by Bracken Ridge. Thats just going off how quickly things rent out there and feedback from my RE agent. Petrie has also performed well due to all the infra and money pouring into the area.

I think you cant really go wrong with any of those suburbs in all honesty.

8. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi, location is one aspect but the other aspect is the actual purchase price. We buy 90% of our investment deals off-market and get them below market value 90% of the time. For our clients, we make a big chunk of equity on the actual purchase. The second focus is then location and then the actual house. On average our clients are making $6k - $8k in equity per week. A big factor is that we buy all of them in Brisbane and Logan which is booming until 2025.

9. A101

A101 Member

Distance to CBD and a suburb with access to a train line (either short drive or walking distance). As cost of living/houses increase people will be pushed further out but if you can nab something in bald hills, bracken ridge or Strathpine you can't go wrong. But I think in this market the challenge is the lack of stock however I really can't see it slowing at the moment so if your playing the long game I'd get in quick as you can still get decent quality for that price (for now).

thunderstrike888 likes this.
  10. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

So just to give some ppl how much rental rises are occuring up in the Northside.

My house in Bracken Ridge is up for rent in 2 weeks time. The current tenants been there for 14 months and its currently rented at $425 per week. At the time of leasing this was the current market.

Agent is going to list it for $500 per week next week. Thats nearly 18% rise in rent. She said it will almost certainly lease out after the first open as well. The agency hasn't had any rental sit longer than 2 weeks for several months already.

Bloody awesome.

rookie101, Coota9 and The Artisan like this.