IP expense partially paid from borrowed and non-borrowed money.

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by property_geek, 3rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Hi,

Say I have $1,000 equity from an IP(in an offset account offsetting loan of this IP).
    Repair expense of $2,000 was taken from equity and personal account ($1000 each).
    Repair guy gave me one single receipt of $2,000 towards repair.

Question 1 : Do I need to ask maintenance vendor to provide me two receipts of $1,000 each so that
    it is easy to explain to ATO comes tax time? Or ATO will understand and allows mixed receipt?

Questions 2: I own a duplex which I am planning to subdivide. Is the interest for subdivision cost tax deductible (provided I use borrowed money)?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. No. The interest would be deductible to the extent you used the $1k to pay part of the $2k cost.
    2. It is only deductible where the property is available for rent. The interest before rental is non-deductible. If you build to sell you would have an income tax issue and the interest would add to the costs of the property. The interest may reduce the profit (when sold) The subdiv costs arent deductible but also may reduce profit when its sold.

property_geek likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I concur with my learned friend.

property_geek likes this.
  4. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Thanks @Paul@PFI Property will be available for rent. No plans to sell in short term.
    In that case I believe, all below costs should be tax deductible:
    - land holding cost (held it for few months now)
    - interest during construction phase
    - subdivision cost

is that right?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia