IP Expense account options

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by San2018, 29th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. San2018

San2018 Well-Known Member

A year ago, I had refinanced my PPOR and created 10K split to cover Investment property expenses so that I can claim interest on the split. Things changed, and I am selling my PPOR at the moment, so all/ split loan account will be closed. I thought of refinancing my IP and move the split loan/ amount secure against IP, but there is not enough equity.

What options I have available to move expense loan amount split to some other loan type (personal loan, peer to peer lending?) so that I can retain the expense debit so that I can claim interest on its long term.

I might be able to release equity from IP in 3-6 months time or buy PPOR so that I can create a split. So looking for short term solution to move existing split(~10K) to some other loan type.

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2019
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

How much interest are you claiming on $10K??

3. San2018

I have used 5K so far at ~3.5 % interest rate. I know it's not huge but just stated so thinking to continue.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

For $175 a year, probably not worth it? Your repayments on a personal loan will be much higher, so will your interest but not enough to justify it IMO - seek some specific tax advice though.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. San2018

I thought so but in the long term, the accumulated expenses will go up, let's say 7K per annum, 35K over 5 years?
    The personal loan is not worth I think but how about P2P lending or borrowing from the spouse. If I borrow from the spouse, not sure how we track interest and paperwork.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Firstly only $5k may be eligible (the other $5k has never been used) but I ask this - Why pay interest to get a tax deduction?. A deduction benefit is around 30-40% of the value. Its regressive. You are paying money $175 pa. The tax benefit is under $70. . I say pay it out.

If the loan was financed on a card the servicing issue is likely more a hidden cost based on min repayments servicing

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. San2018

To make the debt deductable and invest those funds for a better returns than 4% or pay off PPOR debt.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I’d keep it simple and pay it off.

Cheers

Jamie

9. San2018

Yeah, thanks Jamie. I am leaning towards closing the account. it's not worth hassle I think.