NSW (IP) Eastern Suburbs: Hillsdale, Eastlakes or Botany

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by David Chang, 24th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David Chang

David Chang Member

I mean location wise, measured from Sydney CBD, public transport is so much easier from Eastlakes but the thing I do not understand, the property is (on average) slightly more expensive in Botany than Eastlakes or Hillsdale and their rental yield (on average) is also slightly higher.

Eastlakes & Hillsdale are also nearer to UNSW.

In saying that, which suburb would you think be suited for an Investment Property?

And why is Botany more expensive in both rental and sale price, in comparison to Eastlakes & Hillsdale? I'm comparing units with the same format (2,1,1 for example).

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Hillsdale is considered a "rough" or "ghetto" area of the Eastern Suburbs.....
    However the new builds in the same suburb aren't cheap though, just the older ones.

I believe there is large chunk is housing commission.

3. David Chang

David Chang Member

Would you then consider Botany as the upmarket area?

4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Yeah, fine...but (imo) just the wrong stage of the cycle to be buying in Sydney. Likely looking down the barrel of a low yield (maybe 3%) + huge questions about what capital growth could look like in next 5 years.

5. PeterL

PeterL Member

Hello; are you looking to buy as an investment or live in it yourself?

Investment wise- easrlakes is closer to the unsw and you can catch buses more easily it to the city. My family members have unit investments there tenanted to students. Just make sure whatever you buy is close the the bus routes. The shopping Centre is also being demolished and new one with apartments on top is being build. There's also a new apartment complex developing on the old petrol station sites. Over the last few years there has not been as much capital growth there as surrounding suburbs. Tenants will most likely be students or new migrants - as many migrants have moved there in the past few years.

Hillsdale: advantageous because it close to eastgardens, southpoint and maroubra beach. There is also a new Bunnings opening. Tenants more likely to be young families whose parents live in the eastern suburbs. Parking around that area is also an issue because of the condensed flats. Has seen solid capital growth though.

Botany: more of a family area than the others. There is a bus to eastgardens and the city. the main complaint residents have is the lack of adequate public transport servicing that area. There are new developments going up as well that are suitable to families.

In terms of "ghetto" both eastlakes and Hillsdale have that reputation and the low end of the eastern suburbs. Botany is also at the lower end of the market but not as much and not considered dangerous or ghetto. The streets are actually quite nice and there are many ammenities.

In terms of capital growth id say botany will be the furthest along in five years. Followed by eastlakes - depending on how much the new apartments sell for. Hillsdale I feel has already experienced high capital and there might not be as much room to grow in the next five years.

Also, eastlakes and Hillsdale are heavily apartment dense. Botany does not have this
    Good luck!

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

How do you think the "ghetto" of the Eastern Suburbs compare to say... Bankstown, Liverpool, etc?

7. mitsui

mitsui Well-Known Member

8. PeterL

PeterL Member

People that live in eastlakes and the other areas complain about Bankstown and Liverpool so that gives some indication although I'm not too familiar with the areas myself

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with Bankstown and Liverpool, but not hillsdale etc.

10. igor1234

igor1234 Well-Known Member

eastlakes because of new developments/ but overall i would go further, maybe brighton lesands etc