NSW IP : An apartment (2b) in Homebush ~725k -- good investment?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by rooster123, 1st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I personally would not buy an apartment in that suburb. Is there a reason you're looking at buying right now?

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Heavily negative geared and at that price range, opens you opportunities to several other areas to invest in. Buying an apartment in Sydney in general is a pretty risky.

Northboy likes this.
  4. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses.
    I am still unable to understand how and why this is negative gearing and risk for an apartment in that area ( eg the specific one I posted above)? Really looking for some detailed help for understanding.

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I've posted up in some of my previous comments in relation to apartment prices in Sydney. From my personal research, I've seen that apartments are experiencing a decrease from their listed prices. Pretty much from Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Lidcombe, Carlingford and Straithfield. Up to you but with that amount, I think it's risky and with the strata amount per quarter, it's killing your cashflow.

Negative cashflow- money out of your pocket to pay to keep the investment property. Of course in the past, I've kept IPs which were negative geared but kept them due to the potential of the IP and experienced significant capital growth.

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

That general area has also been over-developed (in relation to location/amenities) IMO. If you were desperate to buy an apartment, I think around Ashfield is the furthest out I'd want to go. Even then, you need to be very aware of the possibility of overpaying at this point in the cycle.

Craig John likes this.
  7. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Hi Rooster,

Looking at the ad, the cost of the property is 720k. I checked the rent potential and realestate.com says it is around 600pw. That's a rental yield of 4.33%. Not sure what kind of interest rates you're getting but considering that they're getting closer to 5%, this looks to be negatively geared {(600 x 52)/720,000}. This is even before considering strata and other expenses that are involved.

So you're basically paying out of pocket to hold the property and looking to make money from capital growth. Sydney has been good on CG but with interest rates going up at the moment and with uncertainty about when this boom will end, it is a gamble.

Hope this helps, I'm an invest_noob myself so apologies if what I mentioned was obvious and not what you were looking for.

Northboy likes this.
  8. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Not sure on area but rough figures
    Loan 2720 month
    Strata 333 month
    Water and rates 166 month
    Insurance 83 month
    Pm 80 month
    = 3382 a month
    Rental income 2513 a month
    869 negative a month

Northboy and Luckycharm like this.
  9. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Let's say the depreciation is about $7000. Cost is about 900*12= $10800.

NG benefit = 37% x 17800 = $6,586
    Out of pocket = $4,214
    That's about 0.5% of 750K.
    So, you are fine as long as the property goes up by more than 0.5% per year :)

(I live in Homebush)

Tranquilo likes this.
  10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to buy in Marrickville / Dulwich Hill for the same money - closer to the CBD, and better CG IMO.

pjames and Cimbom like this.
  11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yep, I'd definitely be looking around that area with that budget

12. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

@devank I shouldn't do figures with the big boys lol:)

13. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

you could buy 2 apartments in Newcastle 10-15 minutes from beach and city or another city for 600-700k and have 50-100k left over for a shares or cheaper rural place. You would get $300 -350 rent each apartment and $150 for the cheap house. that would be an income of $800-1,000 a week and you have 3 properties, 2 in a growing market.

14. Michael M.

Michael M. Member

There's are lot happening in the area in the coming years (Homebush, Olympic Park, Strathfield etc). With all this new supply and "shinier" neighbouring suburbs, you may have to hold onto the negatively geared apartment for quite a while before you see any meaningful capital gains, especially in the current market conditions.

$725k budget opens up quote a few options. I agree that Marrickville, Dulwich Hill are more attractive choices.