IO and Offset vs. P&I

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by robs132, 25th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robs132

robs132 Active Member

Hi guys,

Is there any problem with having an IO loan with an offset and then just putting as much into the offset as possible?

For example I own a property with $159K debt and have $100K in the offset. If I just put another $59k into the offset is that considered to be the same as having the loan "paid off"?

Just trying to understand what will happen when my IO loan clicks over to P&I

Thanks!

Rob

2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

No issue with that strategy at all, may make sense when you have a large % in offset as the repayment difference will be bigger between IO and P&I. For IO loans, the monthly repayment is the net balance (so 59k X interest rate / 12). For P&I loans, repayment amount is the same, regardless of whats in the offset account. The amount in the offset account will reduce the interest component of the total repayment, meaning a greater share of the repayment is going to principle.

When the repayment swaps on a fully offsetted loan, the loan balance will begin falling every month and there'll be a 'repayment' increase. I.e. it will increase from 0 to its scheduled repayment amount. The repayment amount will be 100% principle reduction with no interest charged (100% offseted).

robs132 likes this.
  3. robs132

robs132 Active Member

So basically the rent will more than cover the principal component of the repayments?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

With IO as the offset fills the repayments will decrease and once the offset equals the loan there will be no repayments at all.

Once it converts to PI it would then pay it self off over about 14 years assuming no additional repayments or money removed from the offset.

This may or may not suit your needs, but is something to be aware of.

robs132 likes this.
  5. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Pumping IO offsets, especially on an investment loan with the highest interest rate (had 5.2% at one point) is a legit tactic. Means you can pay jack all repayments for 5 years. Never got a call from the bank or anything.

Used that to minimise interest, and save up a fair bit before ticking over to P&I. Eventually though the principal will need to be paid back but its a handy savings accelerator early on.

robs132 likes this.
  6. robs132

robs132 Active Member

Mikey Zhu! Thanks mate :) It's Robin

Zoolander likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Not all lenders have the IO thing right .

Interest based lenders like Pepper have PI repayment regardless of whats in the offset.

if the loan is fully offset, the thing still asks for a full P&I repayment and reduces principal quite fast since there is no Interest, the same as described by the learned folk above when a loan reverts from IO to PI with most other lenders.

STG used to have this same hassle for a while as did ABL.

ta
    rolf

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

The loan balance slowly starts reducing.

Cheers

Jamie

Terry_w likes this.
  9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

So, for instance loan ticks over to P&I and fully offsetted, using only the amount in offset to pay back.
    Does the borrower need to top up offset or will the full offset be enough for the remainder of the loan term?
    i.e.: after 1st month offset is now less by 1 payment, but so is loan.
    But still enough ?

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is no interest that is incurred and the offset = the loan balance so it will pay itself off

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry, as I thought.

12. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Sup! Good to see you on here boss! Is this for the Surfers Paradise place or another?