Investor loan break costs

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Clive Palmer's Yacht, 29th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Hopefully an easy one..

I know if you break a fixed rate early on a loan purposes for investment you can deduct that expense fir tax in the FY incurred.

If however you instead roll that cost into a refinance of your existing investment loan, my question is would the additional borrowings remain treated as an investment loan (with interest deductible for tax) or not?

Hope my question is clear. Thanks

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

not a tax guy, but perhaps thats capitalising interest ?

Id expect there is a PBR on file covering this

I guess it depends if seen as interest OR a borrowing cost..................

ta
    rolf

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Harts case shows that interest on interest is deductible if the underlying interest is deductible, but the ATO could deny the deduction if a scheme.
    Break costs are just loan fees and can be borrowed for and interest can be deductible. Nearly everyone refinancing would be borrowing to pay the mortgage discharge fee which is similar. I don't see an issue with it, but just get your own tax advice.

4. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's great. Logically, I couldn't see the difference in substance between paying the investor loan break costs upfront (which is deductible according to my tax advisor) or using finance to do so

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Import to consider the timing of a break cost. If a property is tenanted and fixed rate is broken while tenanted then its likely deductible in full even where the property may have been a home prior to the tenancy period when the fixed rate loan was set. If the tenant moves out and then its broken it wont be deductible. We see this with sale of IPs where lender breaks costs on sale settlement. This isnt deductible and loses 50% of its value as a CGT cost in place of being a deductible outgoing incurred to produce rental income.

craigc likes this.