Investments for potential move to NZ

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Worldcitizen, 26th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Worldcitizen

Worldcitizen New Member

Hi all

Planning on starting to build a share portfolio, either through direct shares or index funds. There's a high chance me and the family move to NZ in the next year so wanted to see if anyone had any advice on suitable options that would "work" both while we are living in Australia and once we are NZ. Would prefer not to have to sell when we move.

Focused on long term returns so not too focused on the franking/imputation consequences.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

WC

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

hi and welcome to InvestChat ,

i live in Australia but hold dual listed NZ shares ( mostly in my Commsec account )

shares i hold ( with a NZ focus ) are TRA , FBU ,GTK ,MPP , MCY , MEZ , GNE , AIZ ,CNU and SPK ( i also hold WBC and ANZ but NZ is a minor part for them )

if buying these via the ASX liquidity might be a problem ( for you ) that is they might be hard to sell at a reasonable price and quickly .

check and see if the tax implications suit you best ( as a NZ or Australian resident /citizen )

my goals and timing will be different to yours , but your stay in NZ can give you 'on the ground information ' that a foreigner won't know easily

ask your trading platform but living in NZ might not be such a big hassle ( say compared to moving to Europe ) and you might be able to trade on line with only some foreign exchange issues ( for your ASX listed shares ) also ask the share registries they might change the ASX listed shares into NZX listed shares cost effectively as well .

if you are not intending to sell ( or change over your shares ) just keeping you r Australian account open and starting a NZ one for new buys might be an option as well ( several NZ shares are not listed on the ASX and vice versa )

3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

ask about changing from CHESS ( sponsored ) to issuer sponsored ( instead of shuffling currently held shares to new trading accounts , that might limit you ability to sell them but make the paperwork less complicated

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia