Investment strategy for someone planning to move to US

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Chris21, 8th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris21

Chris21 Well-Known Member

I have been contemplating moving to US. Current thinking is at least 5 years but can potentially move on permanent basis as well. Want to minimize financial impact on investment journey. I have been doing some reading and documented below what I have gathered so far.

Looking for your comments and inputs.

1. Strategy for PPOR

Option A - Sell before leaving and claim tax free CG
    Option B - Rent out and sell before becoming foreign resident for tax purpose (Reason - Foreign residents are not entitled to the tax-free threshold, 50% CGT discount, and the main residence exemption)

Current plan - Option A , as foreign residency may kick-in after 1 or 2 years. Selling from overseas might be difficult.
    2. Strategy for SMSF (corporate trustee)

Option A - Book loss in stock investment and close SMSF. Move leftover to an Industry super fund. Close Industry super fund and withdraw super after becoming foreign resident /citizen
    Option B - Add a trusted relative as director of corporate trustee. Keep SMSF for 2-3 years until investment losses are wiped out. Then close SMSF and move funds to US after becoming foreign resident /citizen

Current plan - Option B , if it is possible

Src - What are the SMSF residency requirements?

3. Existing Property Investments

Option A - Sell before leaving and claim 50% CGT discount
    Option B - Sell before becoming foreign resident for tax purpose (Reason - Foreign residents are not entitled to the tax-free threshold, 50% CGT discount, and the main residence exemption)

Current plan - Option B , let gain compound for longer
    4. New Property Investments

Option B - Sell before becoming foreign resident for tax purpose (Reason - Foreign residents are not entitled to the tax-free threshold, 50% CGT discount, and the main residence exemption)

3. Existing Stock / ETF Investments

4. New Stock / ETF Investments

2. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

I've moved a lot, and one of the biggest risks in my experience has been changes in legislation, and these you can't predict. For example non-residents have lost franking credits,CGT discount, main residence exemption in the last 10 years.

Example: We kept our PPOR in Sydney for quite many years after moving. The first couple of years were OK, then we had a string of bad tenants and poor property management. NSW land tax went crazy: $6k to $28k p.a. in just a few years. The last straw was the Morrison government removal of the main residence exemption, including all the years we lived in the property. This meant spending time in Australia to prepare and sell in the middle of covid. This was stressful and time away from family which I will never get back.

I'm glad I never went down the SMSF road, that gets too hard as a non-resident. You should check in detail how the US views super funds, there are underwater stones there.

If I was moving out of Australia again with a 5+ years time horizon, based on my experience I would leave on a cash only basis, i.e. sell everything and start again.

It's OK as a non-resident to then again invest in stocks and ETFs in Australia.

Chris21 likes this.
  3. HonestShiba

HonestShiba Well-Known Member

I thought that if you sell within the 6 years (as an Australian tax resident), you will still be entitled to the main residence exemption? And the problems only arise if you don't return to Australia (and become a tax resident) to sell before then?

Also regarding land tax, why is it so high? I thought that if you alert the SRO that you are an Australian citizen, you don't pay the surcharge? I know this is true in QLD