VIC Investment Property Under 450k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AVS, 4th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. AVS

AVS Active Member

All,
    I am looking to purchase my second investment property. My current property is neutral and very close to positive. I am looking for similar property which is either neutral or small negative cash flow and potential for capital gains. I am not bound to Vic however since I am living in SA and have investment property in QLD was thinking to target Vic as Syd is far from reach. I have only reviewed basic information so far for some suburbs (thinking about eastern Melbourne) but looking to get some help regarding options for suburb. My budget will be limited to 450k, I am open to house\unit and would like to stay out from apartments. I would really appreciate you input.

Regards
    AVS

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Could try pakenham.

MaddyG likes this.
  3. skyfury

skyfury Well-Known Member

hoppers crossing

4. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

If you are open to considering the West you could look at Melton. I think it still has a bit of steam left in it this cycle.

5. Mikey

Mikey Member

Hi could be a silly question, but how easy/hard is it to invest interstate? Do we have to physically go and sign the contract once we have an agreed price with the vendor? Or can everything be done online via email these days rather than actually flying interstate?

6. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Melton has a lot of land + house packages supply so be careful in choosing the suburb though. Too much of supply may affect rental demand.

7. Skinman

It’s really easy to purchase interstate without visiting the location. Everything can be done over the phone and on line.

AVS likes this.
  8. Skinman

True if you did consider Melton I would be looking at established property with a reasonable land component or the ability to add value by other means such as a simple renovation. There is also a residential growth zone you could consider but prices are a little higher in there.

It really depends on your strategy and plans.

9. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Melton has exploded in growth over the past year. I could easily make a decent profit if I sold my IP today which was only purchased last year. I agree that there's a lot of House & Land packages floating around but these are selling.

Personally I still prefer Melton South which has all the amenities and more importantly, the only train station. Some decent, established properties on a good piece of land do come up for sale once in a while and I believe these will hold their value going forward.

10. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Cannot buy a house in Hoppers for $450k. Unit is ok.

JacM likes this.
  11. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

At the risk of adding more competition to where I'm buying I'd say $450k is a great budget for Geelong right now. I was very anti-Geelong three years ago but the town right now is a no-brainer for a short-term upswing with above average growth forecasts for a regional centre.

jefn89 and MikeyBallarat like this.
  12. jefn89

jefn89 Well-Known Member

Jake, wouldn't you feel that the Geelong horse or cat if you're of the AFL persuasion has bolted in Geelong or would you still see there being suburbs where you'll continue to see growth in the shorter term. Suppose it depends on your timeframes

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I would avoid Melton. Some will advocate otherwise. Supply can go on forever there.
    PS I was born in Melton South.

I prefer Geelong if that is your alternative.

14. Skinman

Lots of views and opinions to consider. Its the beauty of property investment. No one knows for sure and everyone has their own strategy which dictates and informs their research into the next area and property type to suit them.

You will probably do OK in all the areas mentioned in the thread. I’d say the most important thing is to get into the market. One thing is for sure you won’t grow your portfolio or achieve your goals while you are sat on the sidelines.

15. AVS

AVS Active Member

It was easy. I purchased my first property interstate without inspecting from inside. I had a look from out while I was there for inspection but couldnt inspect from inside. Managed to complete all process via phone\email.

16. AVS

AVS Active Member

Thanks. I have read fair bit about Geelong. I was considering it as option hence why I wanted to start the discussion. I will consider this in my list.

17. AVS

AVS Active Member

In summary, the general feeling is Melton, Hopper Crossing, Geelong?

18. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Geelong or RGZ in Melton

19. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Hoppers Crossing is not good to invest now unless you get a super good deal (after 3 months I found a good deal for a friend of mine, $50k below market price simply because the vendor did not know he can claim insurance for his damaged house caused by tenant so he sold it really cheap off market). But it is extremely rare and need a bit of luck. And I do not think you can buy good stock in Hoppers for $450k, even not with $500k.

Geelong is flying but not all suburbs so choose wisely. Melton I am not familiar so cannot comment.

Decbull likes this.
  20. MaddyG

MaddyG Well-Known Member

I second Pakenham.. I have an IP there and very happy with how its going :)