Investment Property Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by SaberX, 22nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a good idea, yes, 'borrow' ;)

2. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

I did visit many displays but it's hard because a) materials are alot more luxurious or above what I would get in my standard spec anyway. So it was more an issue of finding a realistic looking bathroom, kitchens etc. that weren't clouded with upgrades far beyond my capacity (aka display style). I did get some rough ideas though.

@Westminster - I went for the externals: Basalt colourbond, with basalt matching fascade and gutters, Taubmans for the feature render colour with the rest of the front elevation , portico and garage pillars as cloudburst. The Garage, pelmet and front door i've asked for in Surfmist.

I've sent all my prestart items back so just awaiting for them to process it. The one I need to finalise is my electricals and perhaps small items that I coudl still change now i.e. the anticon dilemma as per my other thread. The talk about 'darker' roofs has got me worried whether I should be swapping out basalt for a lighter grey or something... would basalt really kill insulation and energy efficiency?

I'll try and post pics of the selections. Including the tiles and floor. In general I went all white cupboards in the kitchen, the Meyers Gris grey tiles from import ceramics, and the crystal salt essa stone in the end. Snowdrift gloss laminate cupboards and overheads etc. Changed all 900mm appliances from Technika to Westinghouse. Added in 3 x pot drawers rather than a cupboards, figured the $500 would serve well as a selling point being the kitchen, over upgrading say ensuite cupboards to drawers first.

New crystal salt stone therefore carried into ensuite with charred woodline velour laminate from memory as I was going for the dark look(will come back when i find out the name) laminate cupboards, the Belga Grey 300 x 300 tiles from Crosbys, drift white for the shower recess, vento white pearl or something for the skirting, vanity -mirror skirting etc.

For floor tiles to WC, bathroom, laundry i went the Crosby 300 x 300 Greta White tiles with the Ariston White Gloss 400 x 200 for skirting, bathroom hob/riser,vanity skirting etc. Shower recess for Bathrom being Fashion Haze.White finestone Formica velour laminate for benchtop. Ash Woodline Gloss cupboard laminate.

Laundry the same Ariston White GLoss skirting, laundry splashback et. from Crosbys. Laminate I went the Ice quarstone formica and Hotham Oak gloss doors.

Will post pics :) Thoughts on the energy efficiency or whether is houdl just stick with the basalt roof colour now given all this talk about energy ratings and resale/rental appeal?? Particularly if i dont go with anticon or roof insulation backed foil?

Last edited: 20th Oct, 2015
  3. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

As previously recommended speak to an interior designer, they are not too expensive, and you can reuse for future projects.
    [​IMG]

4. Helen W

Helen W Member

Absolutely agree, we had mottled light gray in our IP kitchens and they wear well and do not show dirt.

5. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have that much time to do that at this stage.

I was thinking of going with the shale grey roof, and gutters in basalt, and the fascia in either shale grey or basalt?

That would leave a dark grey and light grey as my feature render vs normal exterior render.

That leaves only the garage door, which I'm thinking surfmist may stand out abit as too 'white' given all the shades of grey, so of going shale grey again for the garage. might look abit bland though having so many greys?

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Probably 50% of the people I get through displays are shopping for colours, latest designs etc. I dont mind - have done the same myself plenty of times in the past!

7. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents from my current experience : It will make life so much easier if you get anti fungal silicone for kitchen and bathroom.

Terry_w likes this.