Investment Property Calculator by Yuquan Shi(or Patrick Shi) - Have you bought? (vs PIA Software)

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by leonard157, 13th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which one?

1. Ultimate Investment Property Calculator

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Property Investment Analysis (PIA) Software

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned, I'm thinking of buying the "Investment Property Calculator", Ultimate version for $150.

I like to play around with excel and number.

Before knowing there's software (like PIA from Somersoft) and free excel (lots from this great forum I guess), I even have my own excels for anything I can think of (loan, P&I, ROI, rental yield, gross rental yield, tax rate, etc.), but it is just not complete with all inputs and factors.

PIA software is great, everyone recommend it, definitely will get one (wouldn't mind buying again every 2 years for new update). But I don't think I can amend, edit or add anything.

Then I saw this guy Yuquan Shi selling his work Investment Property Calculator (I guess excel will be password-protected anyway), wasn't thinking of buying until I feel the pain of spending hrs doing my own excel :confused:

So have anyone used this excel calculator? any experience related to comparison between both

Any recommendation? :)

Many thanks in advance

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes I think I have purchased this Ultimate-Investment-Property-Calculator-v1.1.2015, also have PIA.

Both pretty good, but I would go for the Ultimate-Investment-Property-Calculator over PIA

leonard157 likes this.
  3. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

cheers, thanks for first vote!

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What can it have that you cant build in excel yourself?

5. Steven_S

Steven_S Well-Known Member

I purchased this spreadsheet a number of years ago. i found it complex in nature with support for 12 properties as well as your PPOR, which more than works well for my needs. Contains a LOT of stuff that is way over my head but generally helps me to keep track of things.

Wit this spreadsheet, I have found that you cannot always see how things are being calculated or see exactly how one cell impacts another. There's been times where I have wanted to understand how a calculation is being done, or i've overwritten a value in my spreadsheet and broken a formula inadvertently. Keep backups before you change anything!

The maker, Patrick, has been receptive to making some minor tweaks that I suggested, and releases updates from time to time.

The biggest problem I have with this spreadsheet, is that to take an updated spreadsheet and use it means that you need to transcribe your data from the old to the new. When you spend hours setting up your spreadsheet, who would want to spend hours again transcribing into a new version?

leonard157 and Terry_w like this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its pretty. My spreadsheets are plain and even ugly.
    Also factor in the time.

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The problem is you dont know what theyve built in so if the assumptions arent accurate your stuffed.

8. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

True things, I can feel the pain, hours tinkering and tweaking, then after all not a feeling of accomplishment, but something missing somewhere.

I guess it's just the one of few moments when we become perfectionists :confused::mad:

Assumptions are just what they are, assumptions :) but totally agreed, when we can't get to where we want due to...that thing projected from assumptions (then headache followed)

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.