Investment Margate, QLD

Discussion in 'Development' started by BlueKelpie, 14th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BlueKelpie

BlueKelpie Member

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this. We bought a house west of Oxley Street, Margate , QLD on 2 lots of about 830 sqm. The land has access to two street at the front and back. We are thinking of eventually knocking down the house and replacing it with townhouses, duplex, something. Has anybody done this before in the Redcliff area and experience on cost and added value of doing this?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Welcome BK. Moreton Bay council seem pro development

3. BlueKelpie

BlueKelpie Member

Thanks @Heinz57. Yes, they do. I was just wondering if there is anybody on this forum who has done something like this, build townhouses on 2 lots with both sides street frontage. I think it is too early to demolish the existing one to build multiple dwellings because prices haven't risen enough yet in this area. The house is in the Next Gen zone. Any views?

4. AlexSteffan

AlexSteffan Member

We do a lot of enquiries in the Next Gen zone but rarely proceed with a development, it seems that the value just isn't there yet. If you can get a subdivision done for a reasonable price (i.e. all the services are in the right place...etc.) then surely you'll still be able to make some money out of it. Alex

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the peninsular to take off. It should happen by 2032 when Kippa Ring hosts the olympics...

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

But what happened to the promised boom when the rail line was finally built?
    Marg

7. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Bought a next gen block in Moreton Bay 2 years ago: and instead of developing we are building a PPOR. I figure the"next generation" can knock it down and build units after we're gone.

AlexSteffan likes this.
  8. AlexSteffan

AlexSteffan Member

I wonder if that is why they called it that?

JQ88 and Heinz57 like this.
  9. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

Seems you have a similar sized and designed block (2 street frontage) to the one i am currently doing, however im in Brisbane city council area. Im looking at doing 4 large town homes, 2 facing one street, 2 facing the other street with courtyards backing onto each other.

Currently in the design phase.

AlexSteffan likes this.
  10. AlexSteffan

AlexSteffan Member

Very nice. Is it far from MBRC? It seems that as soon as you step across the Council boundary line from MBRC to BCC, a development is more viable. Alex

11. BlueKelpie

BlueKelpie Member

Interesting. Do you have a quote yet as to how much it will cost you approx?

12. BlueKelpie

BlueKelpie Member

What do you mean by more viable?

13. Zenith666

Zenith666 Member

My project is about 5kms from the Brisbane CBD.
    If your referring to more viable in terms of develop to sell, then yes, the greater population is in Brisbane compared to Margate.

BlueKelpie, I'm still designing at the moment, however predict it will be around the $1.6mil to build, $80K in planning and design and $120k in infrastructure costs.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Need to do a Back of Envelope feasibility on your various options to see if anything stacks up. Not my area of competence but my quick guess is its unlikely anything would stack up .

cstar likes this.
  15. BlueKelpie

BlueKelpie Member

@Zenith666, thanks for the info. Such costs wouldn't be worth it (yet) in Margate. The prices would need to rise a lot more for it to make sense.