Investment Journey

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by InvestHappy, 7th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. InvestHappy

InvestHappy New Member

Dear All,

Thanks to everyone in this forum which I consider a mine of pure GOLD with wealth of information.

I am newbie just starting my investment journey. So far, I have read peter Thornhill and Super Smart Money by Michael Holmes, forums posts, PT videos, LIC beginner guide and convinced about taking this approach of investing. I have drafted my approach based on my understanding and would like to get some opinions/thoughts. I would have made mistakes or wrong approach; hence it would love to get your feedbacks.

Current Situation:
    • Bought PPOR beginning of 2020 now focusing on wealth creation primarily.
    • Me & my partner late 30s got do full time work / permanent employee and falls in 37% tax bracket.
    • We have a three and half years old kid.
    Goals:
    • Generate an income stream of 75K when we retire bit early and ideal would be in 15 yrs. time (or earlier if we can achieve that level of income)
    • Leave a legacy for our children’s and securing a way of intergeneration wealth. Objective is here not to make them super rich so that they can build on top of that in their life.
    • Be tax efficient and structure in an effective so that we can benefit from the earning stream.

Goals (tentative):
    • Might leave employment later (mid-term future (5-7 years) and continue this IT consulting business in future (but we not fully committed to this plan yet). But if we do, we will setup a separate company for that. Not sure/thought about how to relate them to investment structure though (for asset protection and tax efficiency). This business won’t need a loan as this IT consulting work and does not require up-front investments.
    • Also, I might buy a second property but would take couple of years (4-5 years). But again, still not committed to this plan yet. This is mainly our kid’s education/better school in a suburb.

Here is what my overall strategy is:
    • Firstly, have setup a structure with family trust to build share portfolio (corporate trustee). We would re-invest all income as dividends and distribute franking credits each financial year. THIS IS MY PRIMARY FOCUS TO DO ASAP.
    • Start with portfolio of LICs & ETFs with initial of 50K (over next couple of months to average out) and then 75K-100K every year gradually building the portfolio.
    • I want to keep this non-super-investment structure separate from super as I do not lock the money until 60 as I like freedom to pull money out if I need to take out for any unforeseeable reason.
    • And then salary sacrifice full limit 25K each year into Super (or in SMSF when its setup)
    • In a year or two setup a SMSF structure and bring all money from super companies and keep injecting money up to yearly 25K limit.
    • After a while (once I sort out share investment structure) when I know where to invest then debt cycling of mortgage.
    • And when in next 10 years’ time the portfolio grows decent and start producing income, setup bucket company that distributes family trust income to it and the company pays 30% tax. The company then declares some dividends and franking credits to us. The company can give remaining money to back to family trust to reinvest.
    Questions:
    • First of all, would like to get some opinions/thoughts/feedbacks on my approach.
    • Since there is decent cost to run the structure (trust, company etc.) and still 15 years before my kids become 18 yrs to receive income & I am doing SMSF separate anyway (and move all money into it after say 15 years) – should I just start investing in personal names (both on me & partner 50:50). And after 15 years move all money into SMSF?
    • What is the best way to transition all money from non-SMSF structure to SMSF structure when we near the retire age from tax and CGT perspective?
    • If I invest in both growth & dividend producing LICs/ETFs, should I keep dividend ones in the Trust and growth ones in the company? Can I use the trustee company for that purpose or do I need to setup a separate company for that?
    • Can I start with simple structure and then expand later (e.g. add more beneficiary/bucket company) depending on how or when the portfolio grows in the future?

Thank you.

Warm Regards

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Lots of content there

Lets start with an active debt recycle strategy to pay down the Home Loan many many years earlier while still building the equities portfolio.

Middling tax bracket will help it along a little faster

ta
    rolf