QLD Investment in Southport Qld

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by CathB, 26th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. CathB

CathB New Member

Am keen to hear any thoughts and feedback on investing in Southport Qld, whether units or houses; and whether 2 or 3 bedrooms. Vacancy rates, Capital growth and rental yield figures look slightly better this past couple of months. My next investment will have to be cashflow positive. I am interested to hear from anyone who has already invested in this area. I guess my biggest question mark is whether there is an oversupply of units.

2. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I'd struggle with buying a unit in Southport at the moment. Lots available already and many more in the pipeline apparently. Unless you were getting a fantastic deal I'd look for a house however houses are selling very quickly especially anything with development potential.

3. hpcproperty

hpcproperty Member

Agreed....

I believe SE QLD should give you better yield in this stage. However, you will really get into the market to fight for it.....

4. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

I've got a vested interest in Southport and have been tracking it.

Southport is Gold Coast's CBD. I've been monitoring the market and houses certainly seem to be moving quicker. For a value for money perspective and better ROI, I'd stick with house/land.

I've seen a 15% jump each year in 2015 and 2016 respectively... so a nice 30% gain in 26-months. Also, it's always been rented which makes life easier

5. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

This is my first post on this forums, but anyways.

My take is that the value of apartments in Southport are only good if you can negotiate a deal significantly under the market value. The whole PDA (priority development area) and surrounding areas are zoned for high density/mixed business/resi since 2013 after Southport was recognised as the CBD.

Once the conditions are ripe for developers (subject to market forces and availibility of funds to borrow), the supply of units will be crazy, considering that there is no height limit in the PDA.

If you are going to invest, my advice would be to buy development land with sufficient holding income so that your not too negatively geared, something along either eugaree, minnie, allan st etc, or to buy a house in the chirn park district of Southport(increasing hip vibe and good family living).

Another option is the old style brick unit/flats with no pool etc, 3-8 flats on a single block, low strata etc.

Vijay likes this.