Investment home loan application declined

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tony_Ton, 21st Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony_Ton

Tony_Ton Member

Hello All,

I have a PPOR (mortgage) and 3 investment properties. My income and my wife's income have good servicing capability.

I have placed an offer on a property in Perth (investment property) and 1000$ deposit has been paid too.

I approached a broker based on Google reviews early in Nov'2020 and applied for home loan with Advantedge. He came back today saying the application got declined at 80% LVR.

Is there any other lender who I can apply with and get a quick approval? Any suggestions for a fast investment home loan approving lender? The finance clause is 28 days, hence I am nearing the date even though settlement is in end of Jan'2021.

Regards

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Did they say why it was declined? No point repeating the process if there is an issue that is unfixable or needs fixing first.

spludgey and The Y-man like this.
  3. Tony_Ton

Tony_Ton Member

The mortgage broker said the lender is not interested in looking further because I had multiple enquiries in the last 12 months. But, he said this is unusual and usually this is not an issue.

Because they have got multiple applications, they aren't interested in looking into mine even though there isn't much problems.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    how many ???? What were they for? Is the broker certain this is the only reason for the decline? or could there be a serviceability issue?

Its unusual that credit enquiries alone would be a hard decline at 80% ...unless you have been making a lot of credit enquiries.

Your broker could also look at other lenders who do not credit score...AMP for example.

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2020
  5. Tony_Ton

Tony_Ton Member

I bought 3 investment properties in mid to late 2020 and refinanced my PPOR in early 2020 as well. Hence, there were a lot of enquiries. I guess, the broker said it was about 30.

I am pretty sure we don't have any serviceability issue.

I never had any problems with CBA or NAB before, but the broker says I can't get any loans from NAB too, it's risky.

So, AMP doesn't look at credit score? Are there any other similar lenders who are quick with approvals?

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How do you determine approx 30 credit enquiries out of 3 purchases and a PPOR refinance :confused:

Did you use the same broker for these other loans ?

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Why didn't you, or the broker, note those queries on your credit file before the latest purchase? Reviewing credit file is a standard first step.

spludgey likes this.
  8. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Bluestone is another who has a 1 day turnaround at the moment with no credit scoring....

However you need to identify exactly what the issue is, I would start with the credit report.

9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

This shouldn't happen, in my opinion!
    A good mortgage broker should let you know if you're at risk of getting a loan declined, before applying for it.

Give one on here a go, but just be mindful that it may be a bit more difficult now that you have one declined loan. But whatever you do, don't get any more loans declined.

As far as I'm aware, banks only see enquiries, not the outcome. So having 30 enquiries (no idea why you would have that many), makes it seem like you got declined for 30 loans.

luckyone likes this.
  10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    30 enquiries for 4 purchases? That seems extreme.

11. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Broker ideally should have done the credit check prior to submitting the deal, we do for every client.
    Until you find out exactly what the issue is it's hard to say how best to proceed.
    There's more to the story for sure, suggest you get a copy of your credit report asap as the first step.

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AMP have recently become a lot tougher in this area.

ta
    rolf

13. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

What is your actual credit score ?

Thats a heck of alot of enquiries.

14. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

have a PPOR (mortgage) and 3 investment properties. My income and my wife's income have good servicing capability
    So the PPOR has a mortgage and the three investment properties are unencumbered.
    Is the PPOR mortgage very high ? Like over 35%

Ps congratulations on repaying the debt on your investment properties . It's great with low interest and high rents that we can pay off properties very quickly .

15. starfish_99

starfish_99 Well-Known Member

1. banks typically will not tell you honestly and transparently why you were declined unless it's something obvious like a default, stable income or serviceability.
    2. since the RC, many banks use automated systems that automatically decline. Brokers can't really do anything to prevent you getting a decline, even the "best" ones. Take what the blowhards say here with a grain of salt