NSW 'Investment Grade' Sydney suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Stvn, 3rd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stvn

Stvn Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to property investment & just put myself onto Michael Yardney's mailing list, I like his idea of finding 'investment grade' suburbs as well as finding land with future development potential

I came across this list of his Sydney suburb recommendations from Jan 2019: The 15 Best Suburbs to Invest in Sydney in 2019

His top 15 (in alphabetical order) are: Ashfield, Balmain, Bexley, Cammeray, Coogee, Dulwich Hill, Kensington, Kingsford, Kogarah, Maroubra, Marrickville, Neutral Bay, Newtown, Rozelle, Summer Hill

What are your thoughts on this list? I guess I was surprised not to see more blue-chip suburbs eg. in the Lower North Shore, Upper North Shore, Eastern Suburbs etc listed?

2. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

I grew up and still live in Bexley / Kogarah.

Still surprised at not much focus on the Bexley area, it is a leafy suburb with access to train station at Kogarah and Rockdale, 15 min drive to airport and with 14 km of CBD. All types of quality food and cafe choices around, a mix of many cultures as well. Not complaining as it gives me a bit more time to buy and invest here.

The North Shore and Eastern Suburbs are your blue chip places, but the value and premium is already in. There is more affluent families with older money in those areas, but lifestyle wise, is it really $ millions better then say where I live in Bexley? I am not sure.

TB

3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Great suburbs, will always be demand, however strategy has to come into play. Most of the yields on any type of property (even apartments) in those suburbs will be through the floor at this point so if you buy there you will quite possibly stagnate your future borrowing capacity.

Of course, if you only ever plan on buying one and can handle cash flow losses with a high income, suburbs like that can be very lucrative. I live in Mosman (not far from the mentioned Neutral Bay) which is also one of those suburbs that will always be in demand but I've never personally considered investing here because it doesn't fit my strategy. Even units here at <3% gross yield at the moment. :eek:

As always, it comes down to your strategy and long term goals. There is no one size fits all.

- Andrew

4. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Yes .

Kid hustlr and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Surprised Mt Druitt wasn't on that list.

It's a hotspot for drugs and crime and is the next best thing to happen in some one's life if they just got out of the big house.

This suburb could be a ten bagger by the next boom. Loves a wet track. Keep an eye on it.

VB King and Ben_j like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Doonie, Dhurruk, Emerson & Plumton all made the cut, 15km from (Parramatta) CBD.

That Yardsley bod must know where you live, got it from that AVO.

datto likes this.