Investment course

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Troy@investment, 10th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Troy@investment

Troy@investment Member

Hi all
    Newby
    Just like to know if it's worth joining property course like I love real estate or small is the new big.
    For the cost $5k to learn about property investment
    Is there other options.

Regards
    Troy

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes. Cheaper courses?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get some free investment courses under your belt - the ASX has plenty of free courses on investment where many of the analysis skills are transferable to property. The rest you can pick up here.

Knighty, Nakan, Shazi and 2 others like this.
  4. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Don't think you need to burn that much money on getting educated esp. when just starting your journey tbh. Lots of books, magz, forums & podcast show provide quality info!.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jun, 2019
    Troy@investment, momentum26 and Shazi like this.
  5. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

No definitely don't pay for those.

Troy@investment likes this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

You are probably better just to chat to someone who is in the area you wish to invest in.
    It will only cost you a coffee (or a lunch if you choose a lunchtime meeting lol)

The Y-man and Troy@investment like this.
  7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

It depends the position your in.
    Courses are most valuable if you have the ability to act on what you are being taught and able to leverage the expert immediately.

As I have always said though I think the true value is in the network that gets built from others in your group. So I tend to look for courses that have face-to-face as much as possible.

I have personally paid loads for courses in excess of 5k but have made contacts that have paid for that already 20X over.
    Heck I literally just leveraged one last week who probably saved me 2-3k doing some custom work for me.

Sackie, NHG and Beano like this.
  8. Troy@investment

Troy@investment Member

Hi albanga
    Thank you for your feedback
    Been thinking of doing the course so that I can have a clear understanding of good structure and asset protection also knowing how to get information about feasible studies. But since I like to start asap I just want to go down the right direction from the beginning.
    When you said face to face is there any examples.

Cheers

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I was going to say, $5k can pay for a lot of lunches/dinners if you plan well, and even flights and professional consultation time (well.... ok maybe you could blow $5k pretty quickly with some lawyers :D)....

The Y-man

Beano and Troy@investment like this.
  10. Troy@investment

Troy@investment Member

:)
    Sounds good Y-Man
    Thank you

11. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be learning structuring and asset protection from a course TBH. Their are way too many personal variables to this and it’s best handled from the professionals.

If you were to do a course try do one that focuses on a specific area or strategy you might be interested in. For example microhomes or subdivisions.

Regarding face-to-face, choose a course that also has workshops and meet-ups.etc

Sackie, thatbum and Troy@investment like this.
  12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Just go to as many Property Chat meetups as possible. Talk to as many real investors as possible.

13. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

I've done a number of courses, including the two you mentioned.

I personally believe, even with mixed publicity those speakers have received, they are quality courses, and wise people to speak with. As much as some speak of growth mindsets on these forums, they are quick to point out others past mistakes. Just like any endeavor, these are businesses which have had growing pains, and nobody is infallible.

The guys above hit the nail on the head with the real win is the networking.
    I would however, advise you start by reading a lot of books to start.

If you go in absolutely fresh, 80% of it will go over your head in the first sitting.
    There's will be a lot of jargon, and concepts that are quite basic which will distract you from taking in the real gems if you are unfamiliar with the basics of investing.

My only con with these events, is that you may find yourself on a seminar treadmill. Learning a lot of theory, without putting much of it into practice.

I am pro seminar, however real-estate investing requires you to invest in real-estate. Repeating "I AM A SUCCESSFUL REAL ESTATE-INVESTOR" for 30 minutes every morning, is not investing in real-estate. It can be easy to confuse one with the other.

My recommendation would be to read 0 to 130+ properties by Steve McKnight, or Margaret Lomas books to start. Then go out there, feet on the ground and speak to some agents, put in some low ball offers. Get a feel for how it works. You may be fortunate and meet some mentors that may take you under their wing for sometime.
    From there, with a little bit of hustle behind you, property courses will give you a huge boost.

From observation, those success stories you hear, they were not fresh coming in. They usually have years of experience under their belt. Whether their family was involved in real estate, or like myself, had 7 years of buying, and building under my belt before attending my first seminar.

It's at this point. With experience behind you, that you can differentiate the noise from the true success stories, adding some amazing friends to your network.

There is no magic formula, or secret trick that Millionaires don't want you to know. Investing is a long, hard journey. Success takes time to craft. As @sash has stated in the past, the boring buy-and-hold investors make up a great majority of the true success stories. If you have a great business or PayG behind you, you can just hold that little bit more than the average person.

That's my two cents.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2019
    albanga and Troy@investment like this.
  14. Terry_w

I've done asset protection and structuring courses but these were post graduate courses for lawyers and these cost much less than $5k and you got a part of a master' degree out of it

Curoch likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Everyone is different . I've done heaps of courses and while I do find great value in some of them, i didn't attend any course until i read massively about RE investing first . Not just read but underlined, highlighted and made notes. Once I had a really good grasp of the fundmentals I started to tske small steps and act on what I'd learnt. The courses came in later in when i decided to focus on certain strategies . The contacts i made in the courses were also very valuable .

Do you need to pay 5k to learn the basics in RE investing? No. If you have plenty of dough and dont mind paying then why not . Otherwise 10-15 good books is plenty in conjunction with the forum .

Imo hands down the best thing you can do for your investing journey is spending some serious time to just learn your craft well. Then it all comes down to taking action and building your experience along the way.

Troy@investment and albanga like this.
  16. Terry_w

Yes if you don't have a basic understanding most of what is being said on the course will go over your head, and be wasted. I recommend reading as much as you can beforehand

albanga likes this.