Investment and Tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by d01, 29th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. d01

d01 Member

Hi guys,

I am sure that this must have been discussed here before. I am wondering what kind of investments types are accepted by the ATO when it comes to making interest on a loan deductible?

I got some extra cash that I can't use as a deposit yet but I don't like it sitting there and doing nothing.

What are the options?

thanks

tomas

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Confusing.
    Cash where? and why would using it result in interest payable that might or might not be deductible?

3. d01

d01 Member

I have refinanced and got some equity out. It's a split loan so one part is against the IP and another part is doing nothing for now. So I would want to use the extra money for some sort of investment so that I could make the other split a "good" debt.

thanks

tomas

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The investment must be expected to produce income for loan expenses to be deductible. It doesnt matter if it also produces a gain or growth. The income is important. Buying shares that dont expect to pay a dividend means no deduction is allowed. The interest may be a element of the costbase to reduce a CGT profit.

eg CBA shares pay a dividend. Interest is deductible. VAS ETF pays income distributions. Interest deductible.
    Afterpay (APT) has never paid a dividend and none is expected. Not deductible. If that changes then it would likely be deductible interst from that time onwards for any NEW acquistions not the existing ones!!

If your portfolio is a blend of non-income and income it may be very difficult to calculate the non-deductible element. This is why margin loans have a restricted approved product list. They all produce income !!

Terry_w likes this.
  5. d01

d01 Member

Thanks Paul,

So if I'd opened a new trading account and would then use the money from the other split to buy Dividend paying stock(s) OR dividend paying ETFs or LICs then that should make the interest deductible? So if you'd find something that would pay dividends that would cover the interests...you would be break even and the growth if it happens would be then subject to CG but this way the money would do at least something for you instead of just sitting there...

At least that's how I understand it.... interesting...

Thank you

It would be really interesting to see some of the setups of people who know how **** works and what can be done to avoid taxes....

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Interest could be deductible if you had not broken the nexus with borrowing or mingled the borrowed money with cash.

craigc likes this.
  7. d01

d01 Member

So if I have setup the Loan "incorrectly" by having a separate account with an offset account and having the money in the offset account instead in the Loan account (redraw) .. have I broken the nexus? If I move the money back into the loan before I invest in anyway and pay for the investment from the loan account am I able to rectify my mistake? OR is the only way to rectify it by refinancing and setting up the loans differently?

thanks

tomas

Paul@PAS likes this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

best to get some tax advice and do it properly

Paul@PAS and Rolf Latham like this.