Investment advice wanted

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by josh76, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. josh76

josh76 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am looking into starting to invest. I think I have made it to a point where I realise I need to start acquiring assets of some sort so that my complete income is not solely from working 5 days a week and spending a portion of that straight away on bills and tax. I want to start setting myself up for the future.

I want to ask what your opinions are be it property/shares and what strategies have worked best for you. I am currently purchasing land and building a house, however this will be my PPOR for the time being, as I am making the most of govt grants and concessions. I eventually would like to have this as an IP but want to also start using my savings smarter rather than just being savings. Also do any of you suggest paying for mentors or investing in managed funds?

Appreciate any help.

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Good morning Josh

Welcome to the forums. You'll find loads of helpful information here. :)

The challenge with mentoring is defining a measure of identifying "when success has been achieved". In other words, how do you define you have learned enough in exchange for your mentoring fee?

If you plan to eventually use your PPOR as an IP, you'd be well advised to have a chat to a savvy property accountant and mortgage broker to ensure that when you make that switch, your loans are set up in a manner that maximises tax deductibility of mortgage interest.

josh76 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would avoid paying people initially. Read a lot and ask questions.

Only financial advisers can give advice on financial products as its licensed advice. Ditto credit advice requires a mortgage broker and tax advice.... etc

josh76, Phase2 and Terry_w like this.
  4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

A lot of mentors have written books.

Pay the mentor $20 and buy their book.

Don't pay the mentor $2,999 to hear them repeat the book.

Some managed funds make money. The majority underperform once their fees are considered.

If you can find a managed that outperforms in the long run you are better than me - but some people can do this magic.

Last edited: 31st May, 2017
  5. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

A good place to start is by reading investor stories. There are heaps of mentors on this forum who freely give/share their time, energy, experience ... This interview is one of my favorites

The keithj Interview

Last edited: 31st May, 2017
    josh76 likes this.
  6. josh76

josh76 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the advice. I will keep on trying to educate myself as much as possible through PC forums and read plenty of books. Interested in the sharemarket but I think maybe some professional advice may be a good start.

Cheers

7. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I'll disagree to an extent, with regards to the professional advice for shares. If you are in it to invest, another place to start is "Other Assets" section of PChat, do a search for "Beginners Guide to LICs". More reading for you.

josh76 likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The share market is very interesting - start by getting involved in some conversations here, there's some very knowledgeable people.

josh76 likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Try focus on 1 asset class at a time. Too much information on too many asset classes can become confusing and cause analysis paralysis as to where is best to start. I am biased towards starting with real estate for many reasons but doing well with it and seeing many people do well with it probably has influenced my bias most. Regardless, there are many great ways to make money in RE and I would recommend to start with it. Right now your a bit lost and all over the place which is understandable as you've just started. Once you've started to do some education via some books, the forum and networking with others who have achieved success in this field, a lot will become clearer and you can start to set your goals. Later on if you like you can also add other asset classes to your portfolio.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2017
    josh76 likes this.