Investing Overseas - Where are you at?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Luca, 20th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

What % of your portfolio is overseas?

1. >75%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Between 50% and 75%

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Between 25% and 50%

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. <25%

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 0%

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I did a bit of search on the forum and didn`t find many info about people investing overseas so I thought it was a good idea to start a Poll.

I am looking at Europe at the moment. It looks like Spain is the way to go. Big correction between 2013 and 2015 and it looks like it is recovering now. Also $/Euro is something to monitor as can give good returns.

2. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Luca

I am pretty sure there is someone else on the forum who has invested in Spain, cant remember user name?

I am going to USA shortly, currently looking at investing in other markets and leveraging from my properties in US and have some finance contacts that are looking attractive.

Its pretty exciting at the moment there are some markets that are where Atlanta was 4 years ago which has pretty much tripled in value. Am looking at repeating the same, we are in the first cycle of the building phase in US.

Will post more once I have sourced and bedded properties and strategy that may suit others on this forum?

inertia, seachange, stockt12 and 4 others like this.
  4. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks,

Also I was looking to Italy, so changed since I was there.
    Now they finance 100% value of the property @ 2.5% fixed rate P&I for 30 years...
    No bad at all but I assume you must have the citizenship.

5. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

@Casteller I believe has experience in Spain.

I like the idea of Spain however put off by the taxes. Was also keen on Ireland back in the day, but again put off by taxes. I was v keen on the US when the dollar was at parity but at the time virtually all capital was tied up so no go. I was and remain gutted. Well done to MTR, HA, Karina and others that grabbed the opportunity.

MTR, I will be Interested to learn what you are doing next in USA and also how you have managed tax affairs.

Mr Dabolina and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Luca, would like to know more about Italy, keep us posted
    So you can source 2.5% interest rates?

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I would think so, I need to investigate more which shouldn`t be difficult for me :) . A friend of mine was saying it was 2% in December. Also exchange rate AUD/EUR should be better in the next 5/6 months. I`ll keep you posted.

8. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I'm in Auckland on business for four days. I might take a look around if I get any free moments after work.

Not really considering Auckland for investment anytime soon (they just had a boom like Sydney did in 2014-15), more of a look for future prospects maybe in a few years' time. Though Auckland is small/low population, supply is very constrained simply due to geography (squashed city-centre next to two sides of water), and surrounding mountainous area preventing urban sprawl too much. It all depends on NZ's immigration policy in coming years, really.

Agee with others re: Spain/Italy. I dont know much about either, apart from knowing their economies are in recovery and are trending up a little (though still in the doldrums overall).

9. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Definitely keen to see where you're scoping out next MTR. Is it still in the US?