Investing in yourself

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Xenia, 5th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Do you believe that you need to invest in yourself as a first step in being successful?

What do you do? Do you have a business/investment coach?
    Self education?
    How much time/ money do you spend on investing in yourself?

I've personally have had mentors all my life.

I believe in discipline and believe that if you are disciplined in one area, it expands to other areas. If I get up and have a packet of tim tams for breakfast because I just can't be bothered taking care of myself - that can't be bothered attitude takes over my entire day.

Therefore I have a good personal trainer, mind coach and business coach that keep me accountable and growing. My aim has always been to outgrow the coaches as quickly as possible (except my PT), grow to their level and then move to a bigger coach that can get me through harder things. Almost there with business coach, years away with my mind coach and I will never ever outgrow my personal trainer - he just won every body building title in SA, I'm not getting there any time soon, I just want him to keep me fit and keep energy up.

Anyone else???

2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Great post and I am a strong believer in always improving and being a better version of yourself!

I am so shocked with some people in this wonderful country that we live in, in that there are opportunities to really 'make it'. Sounds cliche, but it really is a land of opportunity and the sky is the limit. Even if you are from an 'average' family, you can still excel in whatever you put your mind- educational, professional career or properties. In the Asian countries, so hard to really excel because your family name, the school that you graduated from and etc plays such a big part. Impossible for someone working a normal job to really advance themselves. The other day I was told about some of the teacher corruption where the teachers wanted 'kickbacks' from parents so that the school students may receive preferable treatment.

All good to make money but as you mentioned health is so important. Without health, you have nothing.......

I've spend the last 13 years studying in tertiary education to provide me with the skills and knowledge in being able to remain competitive in the job market and feel that so many people rest on their laurels. Especially with how fast the world is at the moment, feel you can really be a dinosaur pretty fast......

Xenia likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I love self education but over the last year have literally had no time for anything formal other than my gym which is sort of like group PT. I do listen to podcasts a lot though and learn heaps from them but am at the point where much if it seems to be stuff I've heard before - nothing wrong with this though as it help reinforce the ideas.

A business coach would be good, I'm very self motivated in my work but some fresh eyes on the biz could be a good thing I think.

Xenia likes this.
  4. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I find I just don't have the head space or time for any of this. When I get back to the gym - career gets neglected, when career is going well - not enough quality time for the family and so on it goes in circles.

Kevvy7 and KayTea like this.