NSW Investing in Western Sydney- Kings Park or Kings Langley

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mikey, 29th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mikey

Mikey Member

Hi All,

Looking for somewhere to live with the potential of future growth. Thinking to buy in one these suburbs. Have relatives living in Kings Park and it looks like a very decent suburb with nice and green leafy streets.

There isn't much talk with these hidden, quiet suburbs so thought I would start my own forum.
    Which suburb would you buy in?

Kings Langley
    Pro's: Nice shopping village, good schools nice and leafy
    Con's: ~100K more expensive compared to neighbouring Kings Park

Kings Park:
    Pro's: More affordable than Kings langley. Streets are nice and leafy also, nice natural park/reserve, train station nearby (Marayong within walking distance), easy access M7
    Con's: shopping village will be in Kings Langley

I find both areas to be nice and leafy. Appears untouched by developers for now and has a lot of potential because of the good public transport. Which suburb will you go for?

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Mikey

When you say public transport - I am guessing you are referring to Marayong train station?

Do you work close to these areas?

In terms of capital growth - no one has a crystal ball...but Sydney having just come off a boom, there may be no growth or growth at a slower rate over the coming years.

If an area is $100k cheaper / more affordable, then it may be undervalued, and will have a flow on effect from the suburb next door as price catch up.

3. Mikey

Mikey Member

Hi Ms Ali,

Yes, my thoughts as well with the flow-on effect seeing the house prices are about 100K cheaper in Kings Park compared to Kings Langley, and also as I see a lot a similarities between the two suburbs when driving around the streets.
    Since Sydney's just come out of the boom, I see the best option now is to buy something cheaper, or buy in a neighbouring suburb that seems undervalued with the potential of the 'ripple' effect.

4. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Spend a few months goinb their for breakfast on weekends.
    Go for. A. Walk

We did yhat wgen we moved from east to south to decide what we liked more.

It took us 6 months but we. Were. Comparing many suburbs

5. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

Did you look at Quakers hill in that area. Its a well established suburb and you would get it at the same price as Kings Park but with better value due to Quakers hill proximity to the developing neighboring suburbs like Schofields, The ponds, Rouse hill etc. Quakers hill also has good public transport connectivity to the city.

6. Spad

Spad Well-Known Member

Check out seven hills has a good station and shops.

7. Mikey

Mikey Member

Seven Hills we haven't looked into. Good suggestion, we'll check out that area also.

Yes we had a look around Quakers Hill area. The prices there are quite reasonable too. After driving around the streets and the local shops in Quakers Hill, however, we liked the feel of Kings Park/Kings Langley more. The streets in Kings Park/Kings Langley just appeared more serene, a similar feel to Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill area but to a lower scale.

8. AAA2214

Sure no worries. I hope you have explored both the old and new side if Quakers hill. The area is changing rapidly.

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Kings Langley is much superior to Kings Park

10. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I think both kings park and kings langley will always be where they are, unexplored and untouched. There won't be any new public transport development in the foreseeable future in the area after the opening of metro. These suburbs will always stay between marayong / quakers hill station and the metro line. The builders won't flock to the area because they are unlikely to be rezoned.

I am not a fan of the area myself because of a lot of older stock around. The problem with older stock is that it gentrifies very slow and even if you build a nicer house there is always a chance that your neighbouring houses are sketchier. Another thing with older areas is that you may end up living with bogans who just happen to be rich because property prices went up. If you are looking for a PPOR then demographics is more important than leafy streets in that case.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

1. If its an investment, its all about capital growth. However, capital growth is acquired at purchase. So whichever has a better price.

2. Walk around both suburbs at night. Whichever one you feel safer in is where I would be leaning towards.

3. Public transport is always good. With shops, im not going to the local shops unless I'm driving. So distance to shops isn't as big as a factor when compared to walking to the station to catch a train to work.

12. Joker

Joker Active Member

I have lived in Kings Langley for nearly 20 years. I definitely wouldn't call it a bogan area. A lot of the houses are currently being renovated and quiet a few knock down rebuilds happening. It has a great local community.

Jacque and DaveM like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The good things about older neighbourhoods:
    1. A decent proportion of properties in older suburbs will have no debts on them --> few forced sales in a downturn. Contrast it to a new estate on the outskirts - after living there for a while some people will decide to move closer into the city because the commute from the outskirts takes too long. (My old colleague from Amex had a new house in Prestons and decided to rent closer into the city, and friends that owned in Stanhope Gardens decided to move to Artarmon. The Western Sydney house was nice but being closer to the city suited them more)
    2. Good sized blocks - these can be rebuilt on. It's the land that appreciates
    3. Leafy established streets

Sydney is still growing. Kings Langley - I know it's fairly quiet and not far from Blacktown. Which is good. Kings Park - I don't know anything about it. Edit: just looked them up. I think I know Kings Langley because I used to drive through/near it after getting off the M2. An aunty has a factory in Blacktown and I used to help out in School holidays. Ps. That office admin work.... Definitely not a fun career!

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2018
  14. Mikey

Mikey Member

Good point you raise about Quakers Hill. I really just checked out the older side of Quakers Hill since the prices are still quite affordable, will check out the newer areas as well. Doing a quick search online, the newer areas in Quakers Hill seem to be priced a lot higher.

Comparing Quakers Hill to Kings park, do you see a big difference between the two in terms of potential growth? Quakers Hill has train Station and easy access to m7, whilst Kings Park has the Marayong station and also easy access to m7. Both seem to be quite similar in terms of connectivity.

15. Mikey

Mikey Member

Yes, driving around Kings Langley and Kings Park, I wouldn't call it a bogan area either. A nice community feel indeed. Seeing that you live in the area, what are your thoughts on Kings Park, Joker?

16. Mikey

Mikey Member

Yes will probably do that comparing the few potential suburbs I have in mind

Some nice points you raised there, Ken

Kings Park is pretty much just next to Kings Langley- being separated just by sunnyholt road.

Hi DaveM, would be interested to hear your reasoning

17. Joker

Joker Active Member

Kings Park is okay. Even though I live near by I rarely need to go there. I guess the main difference between KP and KL is that Kings Park is a semi industrial area where as Kings Langley is purely residential.

18. AAA2214

Both the old side(except for few pockets) and new side are good. Old side price range is in line with the median price while the new side prices are higher as you mentioned. Most of the new side, streets are either bordering or close to Schofields or the Ponds and the streets are nicer with 3 schools, high school, shops etc. Old side is now popular due to new estates coming up like IVY and the growth in Marsden park and the surroundings.

Kingspark was part of Marayong but got split and also has lot of industrial area. Quakers hill on the other hand is purely residential, well established family suburb and lot of new developments coming up along with expansion of shops on the old side. Due to the popularity, they are also high rises coming up now opp and near to station.

I see potential in Quakers hill as the neighboring suburbs blocks sell for a premium and at that price you get a good block and livable house. Add some cost to the reno you have a good house to enjoy. I feel Kingspark growth potential will depend on Quakers hill growth as it doesn't have neighboring developments similar to QH.

19. Smuh5

Smuh5 Active Member

I live in the northwest and both Kings Langley and Kings Park are great options.
    Another option for a great investment is North Kellyville a new emerging suburb, it might be worth looking into this area.

20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

KP is a much older suburb, smaller houses, basic build quality (cladding etc).

KL was a 1970's project home suburb and has a higher build quality