Investing in Tasmania?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kristine, 23rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kristine

Kristine New Member

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to the investment world. My partner and i are expecting to have our PPOR paid off in a couple of months and will be looking at building a stock portfolio. I am also interested in IPs and have been curious about Tasmania. I was looking specifically at Georgetown as yeilds appeared high, we would also be holding a property mid-long term.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Go where the people are! Or where they are moving to. Congrats on paying off the home - great achievement.

legallyblonde and Kristine like this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This ^^^^^ Buy a property that appeals to the max number of tenants / purchasers.

Consider purchasing close to the medium price, located near transport, schools, major artieries and infrastructure such as hospitals and recreation centers.

If you are from out of the area consider engaging a BA (buyers agent)

Get some sound advice on how to structure the finances for your nearly paid of PPOR and any subsequent purchases tied in with your short, medium and longer term goals.

Sackie, Kristine and legallyblonde like this.
  4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Georgetown did perk my interest recently. It seems 9-10% yield is pretty easily achieved
    Also vacancies are way down
    When i have looked previously you were only looking at 7% yield and much higher vacancy

Not sure why this is the case. I dont think Georgetown has much going for it but if the numbers work then who cares
    Just watch out for bogan tenants!

Kristine likes this.
  5. jim1964

jim1964 1941

[QUOTE="strongy1986, post: 528075, member: 965" I dont think Georgetown has much going for it
    Just watch out for bogan tenants![/QUOTE]

I recently spent a week at Low Head/Georgetown.Nice place but not a lot of money around, i counted 6 secondhand/op shops in and around the main street.Not enough drivers for me, just a cheap place to live.

Kristine likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What are you looking for your portfolio to do for you in the long term.

Ta

Rolf

7. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I recently spent a week at Low Head/Georgetown.Nice place but not a lot of money around, i counted 6 secondhand/op shops in and around the main street.Not enough drivers for me, just a cheap place to live.[/QUOTE]

Yes capital growth may be very limited. Its more of a place you could consider after youve made your money and want a passive incomd

Kristine, legallyblonde and jim1964 like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.