Investing for total returns vs income stability

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by oracle, 3rd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

I give greater importance to ..

1. Income stability even if total returns over long term is less and would be OK to have less income

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Highest total risk adjusted returns (index investing) and accept income growth won't be smooth

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I have been reading a theme in a few threads recently where the attraction towards income stability is put higher than total returns even at the expense of slightly lower returns over the long term. For eg. LICs are preferred to index funds/ETFs because of their income stability.

I have always believed in total returns in deciding where I invest my money. So below I have got an example where an investor is happy to accept slightly lower returns in exchange for income stability.

Investment objective: Income stability
    Returns: 9% pa compounded
    Initial Investment: $100,000
    -----------------------------------------
    Total after 25 years: $862,308
    (incl dividend re-investment)
    Assuming 4% dividend income: $34,492

Investment objective: Highest total risk adjusted returns (Index investing)
    Returns: 9.5% pa compounded (slightly greater over the long term)
    Initial Investment: $100,000
    -----------------------------------------
    Total after 25 years: $966,836
    (incl dividend re-investment)
    Assuming 4% dividend income: $38,673

So total returns portfolio generates around 12% more income and obviously has 12% higher capital base. Now, this difference will keep growing and become larger and larger as time passes. After 30 years total returns portfolio will be around $1,522,031 while income stability portfolio would be $1,326,768 about 14.72% less.

In my opinion people who invests for highest total returns are in no way less of dividend growth investors than people who invest for income stability. It's just they accept income would be variable but the trend would be from bottom left to top right over time.

Now, if both scenarios produces the same returns than I can see the advantage of income smoothing. But no one knows for sure what the future will be. Hence, knowing the above scenario is very likely outcome would all of you still in accumulation phase and who prefer income stability be OK to end up getting less income in future?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

MarkW likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Missing a voting option in my case: BOTH:).

And I don’t feel the first option is fairly worded with the assumption being that income stability automatically equals lower income over time in all cases?

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2018
    jimmy likes this.
  3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Read the last paragraph. It doesn't but without guarantee you are basically taking a chance they will be equal but history has shown it's extremely difficult to beat index over the long term so the odds are against you. Hence, is the risk of lower income worth income stability?

Also, the question is more catered towards accumulators who still have 15-20 years of accumulation ahead of them before retiring. You are an exception being retired :D

Cheers,
    Oracle.

4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We have been accumulators for the last 30 years- pension phase this year. Have always gone for total return. At this stage the only thing we have changed is we have significantly increased our cash/near cash to cover the compulsory withdrawals we will now be required to withdraw from our SMSF each year in the event our dividends do not cover these requirements - unlikely but anything is possible. Also have money available for buying opportunities if there is a significant share market correction in the next year or two.

truong, chylld, orangestreet and 4 others like this.
  5. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Would love to hear how did you go about investing for total returns? Was it LIC, index or individual stock selection?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Islay likes this.
  6. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Individual stocks. I must admit I did not know a lot when I started. I started with the float of CBA and just kept accumulating, reinvesting and adding. As I became more confident I would trade shares that I believed were mispriced but was never a trader

Redwing, orangestreet, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

But I’m still an accumulator, probably accumulating more than most here. I just choose not to work:p.

I’m feeling discriminated against as he searches the Yellow Pages for a suitable legal representative:D.

truong, sharon and oracle like this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I love reading about the investors that saw the future in the mid 1990's about investing in CBA ""Islay""---And re--investing ever cent back into the machine as most are unaware of the true subject of the matter,and as we both know the media drama queens kings are mostly un---successfull people who give the most advice particularly about financial matters...Now you can live the dream and enjoy it 1000%%..

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2018
    Islay likes this.
  9. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Thank you. We have been very fortunate. We still have accumulation accounts as well as pension accounts so I get to enjoy the fruits as well as continue the investment journey. I have loved investing and still do. I ( I'm the investor) have thought about simplifying our holdings but I just can not bring myself to selling down our holdings yet. I follow the market, read the reports, update share prices etc regularly. Bit of a passion really, lol

10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Six votes for indexing, zero for LICs so far. Hopefully given the large sample size this suggests LICs are becoming a less appealing investment leading to large NTA discounts relative to average longer term NTA:). This being one of the rare market anomalies potentially enabling higher than average market performance / income growth. But of course that introduces complexity which some may not want to be bothered with.

Anyhow I’m going back to my corner to sulk given I’ve been declared ineligible to vote:(.

Redwing likes this.
  11. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

The reason for me to bring up this topic is to make people aware of the possibility that there is a small chance their chosen LIC end up providing dividend stability but might underperform the index. If it does underperform then over the long term they might actually have less capital and income. As long as investor is OK with that there is nothing wrong. In fact the LIC could end up outperforming the index which would be fantastic for the investor.

For me personally I love the idea of dividend stability but at the same time I hate the thought of possibility of lower returns at expense of dividend stability because I have done the maths and even 0.5% lower return over the long term can result in huge difference which will continue to keep growing.

Secondly, even Berkshire Hathaway is unable to beat the S&P500 by huge margin over past 20 years. This is inspite Buffett being investor he is and not charging any fees and just taking a modest salary.

This to me is an important lesson where no matter how good you are sooner or later the size of funds under management will eventually matter even if it's best investor in the world managing the fund.

If you are not indexing you are basically taking a chance that your chosen investment will continue to perform the same way irrespective of its size in future and/or systems put in place by management (which will change over time) continues to generate similar returns in future as it did in past.

Looking at above results seems like most people do care about total returns. Hence, I just want to get people to think about above points and make sure they are comfortable in their choice of investments.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

pippen, Redwing, willy1111 and 5 others like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

In the end it will likely always come back to what feels like the right fit more so than maximum performance. If it was purely about performance everyone would be 100% shares. But for SANF many choose to own Cash / Term Deposits / Bonds as well as shares. For others income reliability from shares might negate having to hold as much in cash / fixed interest.

There will never be a victor in these sort of debates simply because of human nature. The reality is a good portion of those participating in this survey likely haven’t really been put to the test so to speak. Until then they are answering based on their “perceived” view rather than “actual” experience. But I might be wrong.

Then again I’m a retiree and perhaps out of touch. Personally I sleep well with a combination of LICs / Cap Weighted ETFs. Oh and a sizable Cash / TD holding.

So finding an approach that lets one sleep well at night and “stay the course” is far more important than chasing maximal returns and unable to stick with it!

Getting back to the survey the result suggests that I may be out of touch. So maybe it’s a geriatric thing and hence my thoughts are best kept to myself:confused::).

TAJ, sharon, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  13. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Another excellent post. Better than mine :)

Cheers,
    Oracle.

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I doubt it. There comes a point when one has said too much (typically the same thing over and over) and has exceeded their use by date. Boredom sets in, regulars wish he would shut up. The signs become more and more obvious. I can’t help but feel my use by date had expired quite some time ago.

Great posts like yours are a breath of fresh air. Hopefully others will be inspired to follow suit. I’d love nothing more than to be an unknown lurker learning from and enjoying wonderful posts like yours.

Long live Property Chat, a place dominated by long term investors as opposed to speculators / get rich quick fantasies. Please all make an effort to post as variety is the spice of life.

:)

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Still time to change your vote..

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I voted - then saw this proviso

What is defined as the "accumulation" phase?

FWIW - my view:

Beginner - highest manageable volatility + highest total return (plenty of time to screw up / fix)

Middle - consolidate - income stability, build up strong base

Established - back to the capital volatility + highest total return chase

By "established" I mean that if you have investment income way beyond your normal living needs, you would not need the income stability (as long as it didn't fall below your basic living needs).

So if you have have the choice of $300k pa investment income (stable), but can live on $100k pa, you'd probably go and "risk" some of that income ~ say up to $150k pa worth.

At this point, tax starts playing a major factor too, so you would "risk" some of that income for more tax effective means (which may be a more CG strategy)

The Y-man

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2018
    Snowball, Anne11, willair and 2 others like this.
  17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Unable to vote. To do so would require me to think. In order to think would necessitate me to look at prices over time, do calculations and potentially increase my stress levels. Increasing one's stress levels in not advisable according to some in the medical profession. It could result in a heart attacks. Ergo, thinking in order to vote is unhealthy.

Redwing, sharon, Anne11 and 1 other person like this.
  18. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I voted for highest total return.

Still in the "consolidate" phase that Y-Man mentioned for now but I plan on being in the "established" category by retirement. (though not with anything near $300k pa income! hahaha)

19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Answer depends on where you are in your investment journey.

Younger people can afford to take more risks as they have years ahead to ride out peaks and troughs in the market, both in property and shares.

As you get older, you usually have more capital to protect, and less time to allow for market movements.

We are retired. Enough to see us for the rest of our lives even if we buried the money in the backyard! So preservation of capital is more important to us than the additional money it earns.
    Marg

Anne11, Islay and Nodrog like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

55320E73-D129-4628-AC88-546DF1D92C51.png