Intestacy Laws in Victoria

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by willfong, 27th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. willfong

willfong Active Member

My dad just passed away last week, without wills. He has a couple of unencumbered properties in Melbourne.

I have been reading on Intestacy and it appears that in Victoria, mum will get the first 100k worth plus 1/3rd of the remaining, and whatever is left will be shared among the children. Is this correct?

All the children agreed we do not want any shares of the inheritance and they should all go to mum. Is there anything we can sign to waive our shares away so that they all automatically go to mum without triggering stamp duty and CGT?

Who do we contact to get the ball moving to transfer the property to mum's name?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A solicitor - Until probate occurs the Public Trustee is the only party with capacity. Legal advice is the start

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

You were referring to ADMINISTRATION AND PROBATE ACT 1958 - SECT 51 Distribution if intestate leaves a partner

Also need to read ADMINISTRATION AND PROBATE ACT 1958 - SECT 52 Distribution on intestacy

Speak to a Victorian solicitor would be a good start as @Paul@PFI suggested especially with what you and your siblings wish to do.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What the heck?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will the type of ownership eg joint tenants have any bearing on the outcome?

Are there any binding nominations for super and insurance?

6. larrylarry

7. Terry_w

What you can do is to enter into a deed of family arrangement whereby your mother agrees not to make a family provision claim in exchange for you renouncing your interest.

You will need legal advice on the CGT and stamp duty consequences.

BigBadBanana likes this.
  8. Terry_w

9. larrylarry

Super nomination is separate to Wills. Non-lapsing binding nomination is recommended.

Survivorship - see Survivorship & Full Estate Admin | State Trustees VIC

Perhaps, the properties are all owned in father's name. I don't know but specific advice should be sought from a victorian solicitor.

10. larrylarry

Of course not, otherwise we will have trouble! They are to administer the estate after seeking for probate or letters of administration.

11. larrylarry

Sorry to quick to try to reply. Please accept our condolences. We hope things will be sorted in due course.

willfong and Terry_w like this.
  12. willfong

willfong Active Member

Thanks guys. Ok one property was actually purchased in my mum's name so that one is all good. Just one property left 100% under my dad's name. No super or insurance money to worry about as dad migrated here in retirement age.

Spoke to a Vic lawyer that I have used for property purchases before. He advised that the next of kin will need to apply for grant of letters of administration to the Supreme Court of Victoria . Persons entitled by intestacy laws can relinquish their interests by a deed but he is not sure of the tax implication and asked me to check with accountant. Pretty much in line with Terry's post above.

BigBadBanana and larrylarry like this.
  13. larrylarry

Get the letters of administration filed ASAP because if VSC is like NSWSC, it will take a while to process.

14. Terry_w

Check with the stamp duty side as well - legal advice - as I am not sure of the position in VIC but in SA it would probably trigger duty.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.