Interstate renovations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Nemo, 20th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Another thread had me wondering about barriers to interstate renovations.

Often some of the best buys are places that with a small amount of work could be worth a lot more. Often these are no where near where we live.

So I'm wondering how you manage your interstate renovations, or conversely what are the barriers if you would like to do it, but you don't think you can.

I recently renovated more than 1000km's from home. At the time I was thankful that I had family close by and the use of their tools. Not sure it would have been possible otherwise.

So how do you do it, or why not?

Going to time how long it takes DaveM to mention taking a ladder on the plane.

2. devank

devank Well-Known Member

That is one of the reason I have been mainly focusing on newish properties. Also I try to 'over deliver' whenever the tenant complains about an item. Hoping to avoid any large scale renovations.

Last edited: 20th Oct, 2015
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My BA gave me a recommendation of a few local handyman companies to talk to.

I flew to Brisbane after the contract was signed and met the a couple of reps from the service I selected on site. The BA had organised a time with the vendor for us to visit the property.

From photos I had seen prior to sale, B&P report, discussion with the BA and my own inspection that day I arrived at a list of items I wanted quoted. The handyman service spent about an hour measuring up and recording details necessary to quote.

Front and back stairs needed work for safety as well as replacement of some battens under the balcony.

There was also painting, tiling and other minor improvements in a downstairs laundry/toilet area and rumpus room.

I also asked them to co-ordinate carpet install for the rumpus and an assortment of security screens.

They went away and worked everything out and had a quote for me within a week. From this I selected around $10k of work for the handyman to commence immediately after settlement.

It worked out well and was not much hassle. Works were completed and property was ready for a tenant within about 10 days.

Propertunity likes this.