Internet/telecoms reconnection after reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MokeMum, 7th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MokeMum

MokeMum Member

Hi All,
    Just about to commence an EXTENSIVE (read nothing left but the uprights) reno on what will become our PPOR and have never gone quite this far in a reno before. One question (of many) is how do I ensure that I get internet and/or phone connections that work in the place?
    There is an existing phone line in (currently disconnected but I know the last number) but obviously the wiring, sockets and everything else are coming out during the reno.
    At what stage do I ensure (and through who? Builder? Sparky? Telecoms contractor? etc) that I get the required new infrastructure installed?
    And what's the best way to tackle the ISP/NBN to get my service up and running?
    Tbh it's only really the internet that matters but past experience has taught me a crap connection is a scourge in this day and age and I want to avoid it.
    Thanks in advance for any wisdom from the brains trust!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

nbnco.com.au

3. MokeMum

MokeMum Member

Thanks Scott but I've already looked there and tbh I'm none the wiser... it's pretty clear what to do if you're developing a 20 unit apartment complex but for a single reno, not so much.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Just make sure you got conduits + drawstring to make it easier for the installer to run the cable through. Make sure you run the right conduits too... as it its labelled "telstra" on the one that is running from the Telstra pit to your house.

The provider (eg Telstra) is responsible for running the service from the street to your building.
    From there its all on you the owner.

So work your with your electrician and tell them where you want the network points to go, and where they will originate from. You can ask the installer to run conduits which will make it easier to change the cables later, or just put in Cat6a (i believe that is the latest at present) now which should be sufficient for the next 2 decades (FWIW Cat5e was introduced back in 1999).

If you're renovating an older house, that might get expensive if they need to chase the internal brick walls.

MokeMum likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The last place i renovated, before i poured the driveway, I had a trench dug up and put the telstra conduit from the boundary to my building. Made it alot easier when telstra had to connect a new phone line.

MokeMum likes this.
  6. MokeMum

MokeMum Member

Thanks for the advice neK. Leaving conduits shouldn't be a problem as it's a timber frame and everything is coming off. I'll certainly request that. At the moment my chief issue is working out where the existing line enters the property. The Telstra pit is right in front of my house between the boundary and the road. I'm guessing it runs in under the current cement driveway as it just pops up inside the house with no visible cables leading in. I guess it'll get discovered when the gyprock comes off!

7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Get the lead in (ether through your builder or go direct to an austel licensed installer) delivered to where you want your comms equipment to be located - be it in the garage, office, under the stairs, etc. Get your whole house cabled - preferably with dual sockets in each room, plus some external data ports if you want to run cameras, and also to the front door for a doorbell/video intercom.

The cabling is hard/expensive to retrofit, so make sure you plan ahead! You may think wifi is the bees-knees, but stuff still runs better on cables, and things like security cameras can also be powered via the network cable

Then go and buy all the Ubiquiti toys you can afford.

Cheers,
    Inertia

MokeMum likes this.