Technology & Social Media Internet Service

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Hodor, 7th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone here could help or point me in the right direction for further info.

I tried to get ADSL with TPG (phone hotspots are getting old), when TPG got Telstra to check everything was ok they were informed as below.

"Unfortunately we have been advised by Telstra that there is currently no vacant Telstra infrastructure at the address"

I rang Telstra today to see what was going on, they stated they do have connections available (I am in Sydney). I know people in my area have had problems getting ADSL for similar reasons.

Can Telstra not share connections if there aren't many left? Seems kind of anti competitive to me.
    Is there anything I can do or do I just have to suck it up and go with Telstra?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Each carrier rents space for their racks in the exchange from Telstra. If the carrier does not have available capacity they can't sell you a service.

Other carriers may have spare capacity eg. Telstra.

How often do I need to get my internet serviced? [​IMG]

Hodor likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I used to have ADSL with Optus. Several times I was informed that ADSL2 was not available from my exchange.

I found out two years after the initial enquiry that ADSL2 was available just not with Optus. I signed up for ADSL2 with another supplier.

I would not have otherwise been able to have Netflix.

4. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

@Hodor if you're in Sydney check if cable is available in your area?

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sounds like your phone line is connected to a RIM/pair gain system (aka they run fibre from exchange to a box in the suburb then run copper lines to houses from there). The RIM has an ADSL concentrator in it, and if all ports are in use then you need to wait till one becomes free.

If you are on a RIM, then you are limited to ADSL provided by Telstra Wholesale (not the retail ISP) to the various wholesale partners including TPG, Bigpond etc.

If you want to PM me your address or phone number I can look up against the wholesale service qualification tool for you.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. I waited another 28 days and they now have a spot. Unfortunately Telstra cancelled the line check for my house as they are experiencing high demand. Next appointment is about 5 to 6 weeks away!

Still it's coming

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

This has been going on for ages. Since the NBN was announced no one wants to invest in the old infrastructure. Where my business is the exchange is absolutely chockers but they keep building new warehouses and project homes without updating it. You have to get lucky if someone else disconnects you might get a port. My internet connection is like gold, if I had to move I may not get another and have to make do with wireless.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Happened to me pre-NBN. I got stuffed around for nearly 2 years with the no ADSL story. Turns out it was available in my area and I eventually got it.