Technology & Social Media Internet provider

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 29th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi,
    I've got Dodo internet at one of my places and apparently the $64.80 monthly internet (believe it's ASDL 2 plus) (50GB peak and off peak) is going to be $70 per month from next month. I didn't get any notice of this either, they just told me when I was querying the current price. This is in West Ryde, can anybody tell me of a provider who will do the same for a more competitive price?

Edit: I went onto iSelect and "my net Fone" came up with the most competitive price and with heaps more data. I'm going to call them first.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2016
  2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I'm with TPG, $59.99 a month for unlimited. Never had a problem with them.

Eric Wu likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Check how long until NBN arrives at your place.

I can't comment on other providers. I'm with Dodo and I've been happy. They have been excellent on support. I was with them on ADSL2 and now NBN.

I'm surprised that $5pm is a big deal however.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just like increasing departure tax to $60 from $55. A real disincentive to coming to Australia.

Phase2 and geoffw like this.
  5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I've always found TPG and iinet to be good quality and reasonably priced.

Cheers

Jamie

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I am with bigpond, have been ever since I began using the internet - when I moved to Lake Macquarie earlier this year it was NBN or nothing so pay $120 per month, $20 for higher speed, some teething problems but so far its good.
    The expense I justify because I dont have a smart phone just one of those cheap mobiles that lets me have unlimited phone and text messages @ $30 per month :D

7. geoffw

Just wondering about the line speed you've chosen. That price appears to be for the fastest speed (100/40). I use 25/5 and find it quite adequate for streaming and uploading photos. I assume it's for one of your Airbnb properties- otherwise the tenant would be paying. It's $20pm cheaper for 25/5 than 100/40. Most tenants may be happy with 12/1, probably OK for streaming- a bit of a pain for uploading holiday snaps but doable.

I don't know if you're in contract. It's cheaper to be in a 2 year contract than month by month.

8. Gockie

Yes I went month to month because I'm not sure how long i'd need the service! So its an additional $10 a month that I was paying.

9. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have iinet in one of my Airbnb flats. It's $59pm.
    With the flat I just rented out, I didn't bother with the internet and made it clear that I would not be providing it. It's not just the cost, but if something goes wrong it becomes an issue, so I opted to not offer it.

10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

speed > price

I had iinet for ages, constantly I was complaining about the slow speed I was getting, they said it was the exchange and nothing i could do about it which I accepted for now. In the end I changed all my business stuff over to Commander so did they home line and internet at the same time. Night and day difference. I was only getting around 3-4mbs downloads with iinet but it is around 10-12mbs with Commander.

11. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

+1 I used the same plan from TPG when I was on ADSL2+. Good value, never had a drop-out that I can remember.

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

$70 is expensive. I would check Exetel. They do 50GB peak/50GB off peak for $40/mth. I have been with them for years and happy with the service.

I think it's more like $30pm. I know its not the end of the world but why waste $30pm if you don't need to? ;)

13. Gockie

I think its the building.... only a few service providers will provide internet there. I think the reason is only Telstra has capacity? The block next door, in the same strata complex can get more internet options.
    Ps. Apparently NBN is not scheduled to come for at least 3 years....

14. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Facing the same with Optus. Considering moving and this is cable

15. geoffw

Sorry. That's NBN prices.

ADSL2 needs a connection to the exchange. Not all providers have that connection. I thought I was stuck with ADSL because Optus told me it wasn't available- until I found out that other providers did have the connection available. Your options perhaps may be limited.

I was comparing the before ($65) and after ($70).

16. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I have optus cable have nothing but amazing service. I get consistent speeds @50-60mbps.

17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Perhaps. I was going to link you to adsl2exchange but if that is the case it might not be helpful. Might be worth a check. Put in your phone number and click Equipment Providers

NBN and ADSL2+ Broadband Exchange Information - Search and compare broadband Internet plans for NBN, ADSL, ADSL2, Naked DSL

18. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I always had iinet and never a problem.

For business grade I'm moving to TPG 400mbs up and 400mbs down symmetrical fibre. $499 a month with $2k install on a 2 year contract. We are about to be running more than 30 VOIP phones from that location so need the speed.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

the perks of living in the city (Sydney) is that you get fibre to the building...Wondercom (a TPG subsidiary) getting closer to the advertised 100mbps down.

20. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Wow. ...we keep getting told its the exchange they are upgrading !