International International Shares - Hedged vs Unhedged?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

@dunno (I think) did an excellent explanation a while back of how he tilts from VGS to VGAD based on the historical level of the AUD.

I tried that after the Covid dip and it worked well in the short term, but along with most things I now realise it is easier and most likely more successful to let someone else do it.

The vast majority of my funds are in VDHG, and hence split in some proportion.

2. ScottA

ScottA Well-Known Member

Was looking for some info on VGAD with the Aussie dollar dropping so much lately. Found this old post and thought I'd resurrect it just to say thanks for all the valuable info and to help anyone else who was starting to consider hedging due to the currency movements.

Pleep likes this.
  3. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

I continue to be too old, too lazy and too stupid to do it myself. Hence VDHG

But were I a younger more aggressive investor pondering VGS vs VGAD, it’d be hard to ignore that the AUD is 15c below its historical level.

Things don’t always revert to the mean. But we have a mean for a reason.

4. Pleep

Pleep Well-Known Member

If you are investing a lump sum, rather than regular small amounts, it's really hard to go past VGAD compared to VGS. Like others it worked well during the COVID crunch. But if you pick and choose your dates, the FX gain comes to only a little from March 2020 to now! If currency recovers to mean you're again looking strong.

5. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Net currency gain is a wash over the very long term if you buy and hold. Although it can go in one direction for many years, I don't believe it can be timed to achieve any consistent gain.

Running a 50% hedged portfolio would be able to reduce volatility during holding period. If you maintain a 50% currency exposure then movements either way will not affect you too much.

My simple three fund portfilio consists of 50% VGS, 10% VGAD, 40% VAS. This way if AUD drops substaintially then most my money automatically gets allocated to VGAD and VAS as per asset allocation without any timing required.

Main reason is to reduce volatility and not to increase expected returns.

Pleep likes this.
  6. ScottA

ScottA Well-Known Member

I would only do vgad short term (1-2 yrs) in the expectation of the dollar returning to mean due to the additional fees in vgad. I'd also have to pay cgt once I sold so haven't decided if I want to throw some small amount of play money at it if the fed does another rate rise and aud drops further along with s&p500, essentially magnifying your gains vs just putting into vgs once things start recovering.

7. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

The more you buy and sell the more capital gains that you realise.

8. ScottA

ScottA Well-Known Member

True but I would probably do this regardless as I'm still trying to debt recycle to pay down ppor loan.

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

10. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well, going unhedged could be a good hedge, because when market sentiment turns sour, 'risk assets' like the AUD drop in value, giving international shares a cushion during a downturn.

SLP07 and Globetrekker like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Lots of variables here but personally even as a retiree I only used unhedged.

HiEquity and Islay like this.
  12. Waterboy

Just looking at VGAD - is there a reason why they haven't paid distributions recently?

If you're borrowing to invest (e.g. debt recycling) - it makes the debt non-deductible???

upload_2023-12-6_17-54-56.png

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

One of the joys of hedged product. Discussed previously here somewhere, curency swaps etc. I vaguely remember Vandguard's hedged managed fund for same not paying any distributions for well over a year at one stage. Some mgrs use TOFA arrangement to remedy this but Vanguard chooses not to. Do a search on "TOFA" as also discussed here in past.

Personally I much prefer TOFU myself:).

14. Waterboy

Ughhh. death and taxes.
    at least HGBL uses ToFA election?
    Note to self: avoid VGAD

Edit: reddit source says the following Betashares ETFs elected TOFA:
    HCRED, HGBL, HNDQ, HEFI, HQLT

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2023
  15. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

The benefit of TOFA only gives you distribution smoothing but gross returns are the same. The downside of not having TOFA is that you can suddently receive a huge distribution after years of no distribution, and hence a huge tax bill.

Then again, you would be paying no tax in the years prior when there were no distributions, so it does even out a little (and yes volatile distribution hurts more as it can move you to higher tax brackets).

As some previous posters pointed out this tax problem could be avoided by using a company structure so you never pay more than 30%. However, for people like me who are lazy to change structures, just holding a relatively lower position also minimises the damage.

The reason why VGAD hasn't paid a distribution for awhile is because AUD has been trending lower for awhile. If/when AUD goes back up again then be prepared for more outsized distributions from VGAD.

Observer, The Falcon and dunno like this.
  16. Waterboy

hang on, so if I borrowed money to buy VGAD, is the interest deductible during financial years of zero distribution?

17. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

I believe that’s fine as long that there is an expectation of a dividend although tax experts can confirm.

Sgav likes this.
  18. Waterboy

I was thinking, if I envision my future retirement as something that involves a lot of overseas travel, going unhedged might be a good thing . . .

Hockey Monkey likes this.
  19. Waterboy

Now just reading past posts, I was actually thinking the same thing!

20. HiEquity

HiEquity Well-Known Member

That comment about the AUD being a risk asset is pretty funny. I remember AUD going to 1.10 after the GFC...