International International Bluechip Shares

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Trailblazer, 27th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Well-Known Member

Let's have a discussion on fundamentally great quality companies entering bargain territory.
    Companies that have strong moats and economically strong to weather a pronounced recession and continue to increase earnings in the long-term.

USA:
    BRK.B
    Disney
    Facebook
    Amazon
    Microsoft
    Starbucks
    McDonalds
    Nike
    Google
    AT&T
    Coca Cola

Singapore:
    DBS

HK:
    Techtronic Industries Company Limited

2. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I like BMW as a company, pay a great dividend and have so for many years, have a large investment and focus on electric vehicles going forward, own a lot of great companies/subsidiaries. Lots to like about them.
    Disclaimer: I don’t have nor have I ever had a bmw.

also not to play devils advocate but majority of the companies you have listed would be in your international etfs! Saves the hassle of trying to pick them individually.

Codie likes this.
  3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

In the past I would have added

JNJ
    UL
    NSRGY

Don’t follow individual stocks anymore though.

Redwing likes this.
  4. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Not much to discuss. All those "quality attributes" are priced in.

The Falcon likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

One of the quickest rapid fire discussions I've seen for a while.

mtat and Nodrog like this.
  6. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

IOO iShares Global 100 ETF
    The fund aims to provide investors with the performance of the the S&P Global 100TM Index, before fees and expenses. The index is designed to measure the performance of 100 multi-national, blue chip companies of major importance in global equity markets.

Done & dusted :)

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

If you are going on fundamentals you would have to give top weighting to AMZN. While many of the top multinational blue chips are slashing jobs. Amazon is putting on 100,000. At the momment it is providing essential medical supplies and products to people ordered to stay home. Last quarter revenue grew 35%, to $10 billion US. GOOGL should have the next highest weighting is loaded up with cash , $120 Billion to ride out any recession and can be aggressive in share buying or it can return cash to shareholders. Perhaps Facebook next with a similiar weighting closely followed by Microsoft Less weighting would be Disney then BRK. Iwouldnt invest or even drink at Starbucks, they are shutting down stores, instead I would give a low weighting to Luckin coffee, Chinese are just starting to take to coffee especially after months of lockdown, huge market grew 400% last quarter.

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2020
    Kat likes this.
  9. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Well-Known Member

Yes, i wouldn't drink starbucks either, unless your stuck in the states, there's not many better alternatives conveniently. However I would not discriminate their product offerings to what's unfolding.

"China is the fastest-growing market for Starbucks outside the U.S. and the second-largest market overall. The country contributes approximately 10% to Starbucks’ revenue based on Q1 FY2020"
    How Starbucks (SBUX) Is Getting Itself Back On Track In China In Wake of COVID-19
    They're also building a $130mil roasting plant in Shanghai.

Another one to watch out for is market leader in recreational and medical marijuana, Canopy Growth. The industry is still young with plenty of scope for growth. Tobacco and Alcohol have invested into this space to protect their market share losses.

10. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

I’m in on Disney. They took a massive hit as their parks and ships are closed.

But if you think about it, when this finishes people will always return to their deferred holiday, and you have had a whole heap of people subscribe to Disney +

Currently sitting less than $100USD and will hit $150 in a blink once this is done

11. symposia

symposia Member

Can I ask what platform you use to invest internationally?

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Chinese coffee giant's shares dive 76 per cent after COO accused of fabricating sales

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...nancial-misconduct-probe-20200403-p54gmv.html

Froxy likes this.
  13. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Hey, I use Stake as I’m very much set and forget, so it works for me.

Hope you got on board, just read that Disney+ subscriptions have hit their target 4 years earlier than expected.

Futures tonight point to a almost 7% upswing

symposia likes this.
  14. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some tax insight using Stake (or a similar platform).

If I invest AUD$100 on an American stock (that has no dividends) and sell it at $110...
    • Does the W8-BEN form withhold 15% of the $10 profit automatically- or is the W8-BEN only for dividends?
    • If it's strictly for dividends, not profit, what is the process in paying capital gains in The States on the profit?
    • Separately would I disclose the $10 profit as per normal for Aussie tax CGT, or do I disclose the net profit from the first two dot points?
    Appreciate any insight into this, or the general overall tax process of international shares. I bought a year ago and am thinking about selling up on Stake and just need some help on this specifically.

Thank you

15. TickerHound

TickerHound Well-Known Member

Tesla (TSLA)
    Zoom (ZM)
    Nividia (NVDA)
    Shopify (SHOP)
    Square (SQ)

Yes, a big drama at the time and LK is no longer trading on the Nasdaq. It’s the reason why to be cautious of stocks without support from respected institutions with a track record.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2020