Internal doors after handover

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SaberX, 24th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Added into my build two x 720 flush panel doors and brickwork to close up the theatre facing Street given i thought even as a rental, one expects a theatre to be closed up, even a small one. Could even double as a 5th bedroom.

Also closed up the standard open front facing ensuite with brickwork and a 820 door.

Just wondering if its alot cheaper or if its more hassle doing doors after handover i.e. gettinf door frames put in but not the door.

Where would one then source a cheap door and who would install them? Or is it not worth the hassle incase of a shoddy frame sizing as there's no doors for them to check to?

I believe im getting redicote internal doors anyway which i believe is one type of Corinthian. As per below they appear to be 30 bucks from masters. Currently includes the brickwork but ive been quoted 470 and 851 for the ensuite and threatre brick and doors respectively.

Any thoughts? I toyed with leaving the ensuite door off as you can front face a nice double vanity stone top and double shower as per displays but didnt seem practical given id always grown up behind doors. Looks nice though. It loses the open plan space feel when you haveto open a door to step into it unfortunately. And as a front on bathroom you dont get that depth as the ensuite where the door opens on one side end of the ensuite and so you get the long walkway visual feel :(

2. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

I also had drafting stuff up the study so rather than extending my 600-660 mm nib wall for the study room adjacent to open plan living area to 910, they made the opening 910mm and the nib wall 1210 mm or whatever it was. Left it figuring it provides room to put cabinets against the nib wall and more utilisation space. Just wondering as its an open entry is there a future proof way to incorporate closing it up next time.

Should i leave the opening at 910 mm as could you then extend this to fit an 820 door next time? The only issue is there wouldn't be brickwork above the door setup given its just an opening currently. Or will adding a door to this next time be very costly?

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I'd get it done as part of the build - doors can be a pain and not normally a DIY thing. plus it's extra painting, sourcing the same handles etc.

WestOz and Brian84 like this.
  4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I agree with Jess, however see if you can screw-em down on price, ask what their charging you for the doors etc, if more than what you can get-em for let-em no, if they don't care tell-em you'll supply the parts then.

Remember, if they have to spend time picking up stuff from suppliers, truck it back to your joint, unload it etc, their gunna charge you for that time/costs.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The doors themselves are cheap - it's the frame + hardware + fittings + labour + etc etc that add into the price.

I'd get them to do it as part of the build as they need to tie the door frames into the brick work.

6. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess.

Westoz - supplying parts would be fine but these days most volume project builders seem to want nothing to dow ith supplied parts or your third party contractors. That's at your own discretion after handover. I'll check but I doubt they'll let me supply the door and they install it, just to save costs. It'll probably be a take it or leave it (or just leave a door frame in) option.

THanks Westminster. Seems like the consensus is to put the doors on the door frames and not just leave door frames on - i assume those who do leave frames are just taking a measured punt on having to put doors in later down the track (if needed), or taking the risk of post-handover fitting?