Entertainment & Music Interesting reads

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 2nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Lately I've been submerging myself in a new direction in books (I'm blaming age) - and am finding more intellectual tomes - that stretch the thought process in different directions - to be more stimulating.

A few recent's include:

Utopia for Realists ... "It was the hope we could fly, conquer disease, motorised transport, build communities of the faithful, discover virgin land or live in permanent peace that has propelled men and women to take the risks and obsess about the new that, while not creating the utopia of which they dreamed" ... and now, where does humanity go when all the basics are met?

Utopia for Realists: And How We Can Get There by Rutger Bregman – review

Being Mortal ... about dignity and purpose in old age ... "when it comes to the inescapable realities of aging and death, what medicine can do often runs counter to what it should."

Being Mortal

The Tangled Tree ... " a new method of telling the story of life on earth - through molecular phylogenetics. It involves a fairly simple method - the reading of the deep history of life by looking at the variation in protein molecules found in living organisms. For instance, we now know that roughly eight per cent of the human genome arrived not through traditional inheritance from directly ancestral forms, but sideways by viral infection"

The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life

Along with the usual fiction ... :)

Pumpkin likes this.