House & Home Interesting parking issue with neighbour

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tenex, 4th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I have recently built my house which means that I currently only have one car park on the property where my wife parks.

There is usually good parking on our street. More recently I started parking across the street (from our house), because the pavement on our side has a huge tree on it which sheds a lot. So if I park on the street on our side, I usually find my car fully covered with tree shedding in the morning which started damaging the paint etc.

Any way, a few weeks ago when I parked across the road, I found a note on my car from the neighbor that lives there basically asking me not to park there as it is right infront of her house (even though I am parking on the street) and that she usually parks there. I am not the one wanting to pick a fight so I decided to park right behind where she usually parks allowing her to have her spot. Then I noticed that they either park another car there (which usually wasnt there) or put a broken rubbish bin, clearly aimed at not letting me to park behind that spot either. I didnt make much of it and just decided to park when it was free or otherwise park on our side under the big tree and just leave her special little spot free for her.

Whats interesting is that, when their family and friends come over, they actually park right on our side making me either have to park almost infront of our own drive way or further down the road.

I am not taking this too seriously, it is council land at the end of the day and this sorta of rubbish is childish. But what gets to me is that she clearly doesnt extend the same courtesy onto me to at least advise her family to leave the spot near my house free.

What are your thoughts PropertyChat?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mum has a Dlug and 30m driveway & doesn't have a car or drive but she still gets the irrates when anyone parks in front of her house. :rolleyes:

The Y-man, Savy mum and Phase2 like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Some people think they own the street

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I would just drop her a note in the mailbox explaining the reason for using the spot & that you will try to leave them room (as you were doing).

I'd get out and move the bin out of the way when necessary to free up the park :)

wylie likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

When I used to visit a friend they had a "we own the street" neighbour who used to come out the front and carry on about me parking in "their" car park. I just asked her to show me the exclusive use bylaw issued by council for that piece of public street... and she shut up quick

chylld likes this.
  6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

mikey7 and WattleIdo like this.
  7. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Can you trim back the tree so you can park outside your place?

wylie, Joynz and WattleIdo like this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

And/or get a cover for your car and tuck it in every night.

9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Buy an old clunker. Get it towed and permanent park it in 'her' spot.

morgzzz, wylie and Dan Donoghue like this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We have a crazy woman opposite our townhouse block, she has a double and single garage and a driveway you could fit 4 cars on yet she parks on the other side of the road out the front of our place.

None of us really care as we have double underground garages but the problem is she parks almost on the driveway so when you come out in the morning, you can't see down the road past her car without pushing the nose of your car into the oncoming traffic.

She was hauled away by the cops one night and disappeared for 3 months, we think she was in a psyche ward but now she is back and up to old tricks again.

One of the neighbors tried to talk to her but she just started saying things like "You have schizophrenia because you look into your daughter's eyes when you talk to her". Like I said, a crazy woman :).

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the woman is approachable, and has approached you about parking in front of her house, I'd try to appeal to the same part inside her that thinks she has a right to park there and put it back on her. You have to live near her, so I'd be trying to avoid confrontation, but face to face conversation might show you would like her to "walk the walk".

We have neighbours who sometimes ask if we can move a car from in front of their house for their guests to be able to park (older visitors needing to be able to get out near the gate) or when they had a party.

This was when we had four cars here. They did it nicely, and we were happy to oblige. We have a great relationship and such a question was not offensive to us at all. It all comes down to forming a good relationship (if possible).

I know a lady who deliberately parked her old car (not driven for probably ten years) in the middle of a piece of footpath where two small cars belonging to the neighbour's kids used to park. She did it deliberately and then would wonder why the relationship was chilly.

12. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

When I was younger, something like what she has done meant war. Btw they have a larger house-hold so its not just her living there. I think they may even have some sort of workshop in their garage as we normally hear them doing some kind of work in there during the day.

Any way, last thing on my mind right now is to wage street wars over whose spot is where. I have enough drama at work.

I left a nice letter on her windscreen last night briefly telling her they seem like nice people but street is effectively council land, I explained, I had left a spot for her out of being a good neighbour but then putting bins on the street to ensure I dont park there or family parking on our side is just not on.

I have upped the politeness in the letter and left my phone number in case if they want to talk without being face to face but then concluded in my letter that street is for anyone that is there first and left it at that.

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I find this a problem on a regular basis, even with correctly parked cars.

One of my cars has side-pointing cameras in the front bumper to help "peek" beyond the parked cars, but my other car doesn't and a few times I've found myself face-to-face with a car that has obviously seen me (and stopped out of courtesy) well before I saw them. Kinda accept it's my fault though for picking a car that has my bum barely 20cm off the road :)

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Hehehe yeah same, I think my driving position would be similar to yours, the thing is all bloody bonnet and I sit almost on the back wheels ;)

chylld likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Dear Mr Tenex
    It appears from your opening post that you built a house on a block of land that had a huge tree on the footpath. Did you not consider your personal parking needs when you planned the house?

16. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I did consider my personal parking needs but the council and the architect didnt share common interests with me so I ended up with one parking spot.

Having said that, when you have a street with no parking meter, which is wide enough for anyone to park, you dont necessarily worry about parking.

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you have to park in exactly the same place all the time?
    Varying it a bit may defuse things.
    Marg

18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I have similar here in suburbia
    Neighbour across the road, last house on the straight section leading into a court, he has a double garage (full of stuff) and only ever parks his car in the drive, only has enough room for one car (two if they can be bothered) on street until the second drive way to a carport with a boat in it (lucky him), so that leaves his wifes car, his sons car, his daughters car and her hubby's car on the street.
    So most days that is 4 cars on the st, at least 2 (often 3 ) parked outside mine and then my next door neighbors place, leaving nowhere for any visitors to the 3 houses to the bottom of the st to park !!!!
    You would think council would be better at mandating parking requirements "oh you have a 4 bed house here, we require 3 off st parking spots then " for when your kids grow up and start driving... (and storage in addition to the garage so you actually PARK in the garage)

19. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

In time like this I think its better to live in a Complex LOL. At least the rules are clear and it's fair to all. In our Complex, even 2-bedder has 2 garage, and heaps of onstreet and visitors parking. The Onsite Manager has never had the need to mediate. Amazing.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Naughty council :(