Interested in hearing your thoughts about buying a house in my situation

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Kumagawa, 9th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

A pool 40m deep would be too much hassle. Instead I've set up an archery range in the backyard. The neighbours haven't figured it out yet...

2. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

Thanks Stoffo, that's a great tip! I'll keep that in mind :)

Stoffo likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I guess you might accidentally bore into Melba tunnel....

The Y-man

4. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

You'd better have something fairly well insulated. Search PC and you will see people go into legal battles because neigbhour's dog barked at the wrong time of the day. And you might have someone who is a professional meditator living next door in your new home. Hell will break loose :D

Trust me, one of my properties neigbhour complained about tenant's cat walking along the fence and their dog barked and ran along it. The cat just kept doing the catwalk until the canine run of of steam. I thought it was interesting but neigbhour thought otherwise. :rolleyes:

5. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

Not to worry spoon, I've got the cost of soundproofing a room in the moving in budget :D

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. The Y-man

Great point. We have 2 of us living in a 5BR/3Bth (including 2 upstairs spa baths we have NEVER used)* and the central ducted heating heats the whole house (the unit errors if you close too many registers due to back pressure).

The Y-man

*Minor humblebrag.... :D

Kumagawa likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Meh! - a few horns :D

I have a drum kit, electric guitar, keyboards.... but my neighbour fights back by singing (not out of tune thankfully) in the yard....

The Y-man

Kumagawa likes this.
  8. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

It's all fun and games until the morning reveille sounds at 5 am :eek:

Joynz likes this.
  9. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Heating bills and isolation are the big worries. Perhaps if you buy along a tourist route
    Great idea you only live once :D You can even airbnb some spare rooms if on a tourist route. Only drawbacks I can see is the huge step up in maintenance, loss of flexibility to lock up and go on extended leave, heating bills and isolation/safety.

Kumagawa likes this.
  10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Looking to build a 4/2/2 to live in in these few coming months, will be living there by myself, not looking forward to furnishing/cleaning/maintaining it, that's for sure.

Kumagawa likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ditto big house here, 4 bedrooms, 3 living rooms, 2 bathrooms, 3 car garage, 2 balconies and a verandah with only 2 people. But both WFH.
    His calls don't disturb mine and vv.
    One of the 3 living rooms has become my unicycle home room.

Yes we have a 3 car garage too, but that living room is more convenient. I think to myself, what skill/s do I want to practice, and then, matching the plan, which unicycle/s should I use to ride or practice on? ;)

Kumagawa and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  12. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

The loss of flexibility is something that I've given a bit of thought to actually! I don't think I'd be as comfortable making a tree change if I was travelling as much for work as I have done previously! The issue now is more around leaving the property locked up when I engage in recreational travel, but that's rarely more than 2-3 weeks away a year so not that high a risk hopefully :p

The bigger worry (as it is with tree changes) is the bushfire season. I'm not looking for acreage and have inspected properties in suburbs that though wooded, aren't densely forested. I think I'll need to do a bit of self education on this.

The extra maintenance over my current PPOR is of course a real consideration I'm going to have to accept in such a move. Can't win on all fronts :D

Robbo80 likes this.
  13. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Sounds great! May I ask which suburbs you have narrowed it down to? More out of interest to see which areas are seen as desirable tree change location.

On the topic of bushfire/maintenance ive been told to watch out for properties that have large gum trees overhead as they malt alot and leaves/nuts go everywhere, and very hard to get out of gutter. Gutter guards be needed.

Kumagawa likes this.
  14. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

Great tip, thanks Robbo!

Happy to share where I've narrowed down my search to :)

My criteria are:

1. On the Eastern/North Eastern side of the city (because of proximity to my social circle)

2. Within +/- 90 minutes door to door to the CBD and surrounds (primary work location)

3. Suburb has sufficient firey/CFA coverage

Having done quite a few weekend and weeknight drives to look at suburbs and houses, I've narrowed it down to Research (might be priced out) and surrounds, including Diamond Creek, Wattle Glen, Kangaroo Ground and Hurstbridge. This gives me decent access to the Eastern suburbs and CBD, have the luxury of decent CFA coverage, and a reasonable block without feeling too close to the neighbours.

I have also looked previously at Belgrave and Emerald where the dollar goes further, so haven't completely ruled them out. Very different suburbs in my opinion though!

Robbo80 likes this.
  15. The Y-man

Research is lovely for a PPOR - looked there ourselves at one stage.

D-Creek, W-Glen, Hbridge do have advantage of train line.

K-Ground - mostly rural props?

The Y-man

Kumagawa likes this.
  16. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

Hi Y-man, yes Kangaroo Ground feels a bit too rural. I think I'll need to spend a bit more time there to really see if it's for me.

If I'm priced out of Research, Diamond Creek has nice pockets where it doesn't feel too built up, and I like the semi-rural feel of Wattle Glen and Hurstbridge. That said, I'm also conscious that the urban sprawl will keep going and wonder how long it'll be until the paddocks and fields disappear...:p

17. The Y-man

Warrandyte / Warrnadyte Nth is similar - but you won't find any flat ground

The Y-man

Kumagawa likes this.
  18. Kumagawa

Kumagawa Active Member

Some incline is OK to me but too much and the land area feels a bit wasted!

Pre-lockdown number 2 I inspected a nice property in Diamond Creek but didn't put in an offer as it sits on a 25 to 30 degree incline. It's now under offer so evidently not an issue for someone else!

19. The Y-man

It's not only that - maintenance costs on your building can be much greater due to subsidence and erosion.

The Y-man