Interest Rates and Affordability

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Graeme, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

@Graeme ..The apartment boom is blowing up ;)

China just did a big stimulus at the start of the year which had a short term effect on commodity prices and their ecoNomy. But that's losing steam now..

Maybe a trump president might be the trigger. He'll probably say to yellen, "you're fired!!"

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm happy for them to judge me for not having a house in a flash suburb ;)
    Living within my means.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am quite open about living in a "slum" and driving a 22 year old car. I feel that if people want to judge me on that, that is their issue... not mine.

vbplease, House, Darren A and 2 others like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When there is no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm. African proverb

House likes this.
  5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor. -Seneca

Darren A likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think people who migrate to Australia and might not have great wealth when they come but work hard in a foreign country and buy an average home in an outer suburb are to be admired. These are the people truly making a go of it.
    On the other hand, people who might have just inherited a great home in a fantastic suburb or are on the dole and not trying... they don't inspire me at all.

Lots of inspiring people in Western and South Western Sydney, and moreso than from other parts of Sydney, to tell the honest truth.

Yes... I support the hard working honest battler. Same as anybody looking for their first job out of uni. As long as they seem motivated. I know a girl who finished uni, found a full time job in her professional field yet still worked at Target on weekends (just in case). If she keeps that up (and dosn't suffer burnout), I believe she'll go very far.
    Ps. I did similar. Worked at Big W (nightfill) the whole time I also worked my first professional full time job! Cut right back on nightfill shifts of course though.
    There are people you just have to admire.

chi.lam and House like this.
  7. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

But is that the practical approach?

We cannot deny the stigma it brings and we surely do get impacted by the judgments other people make about us. It is like attending an interview and not getting the job because the other guy misjudged you. Now you are more than welcome to say that you don't want to work with the guys who fail to judge the real you but don't you wear a suite to an interview?

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Depends on the job that people want I guess.
    I would always wear a suit to an interview.

9. Perthguy

Yeah but in an interview what suburb I live in now is a lot less important than what school I went to. I went to the wrong school and there is nothing I can do about that. To compensate, I went back to uni and got a masters degree. Now no-one asks what suburb I live in ;)

Living here has not stopped me getting the job I really want.

10. Perthguy

Just to follow up on my previous comments, no, I don't wear a *suite* to an interview. I wear clothing that is appropriate for the job I have applied for. For example, in the past when I have been interviewed for labouring type jobs, I have worn jeans and a t-shirt. When I went for my first job in I.T., I wore trousers and a collared shirt, but no tie (too formal for I.T.), and got the job. More recently, I went for a project management job. I wore a jacket, collared shirt and tie, but not a suit because I don't own one. So yes, I will wear industry appropriate clothing but I won't move to another suburb to impress people. :p

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you not wear pants?
    Even if it's not matching, it's still kind've a suit.
    Hopefully you were wearing pants ;)

12. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

IT is a desk job mostly. No one cares what is under the desk.

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Yes, it is the practical approach. Not only am I not interested in impressing people that judge primarily on things like the car I drive and my postcode, I am not particularly interested in dealing with someone like that - I certainly would have concerns about trusting their judgement.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Perthguy and MikeyBallarat like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably a TV gig, only see from the waist up.
    Have seen some funny behind the scenes stuff.

15. Perthguy

lol. Yes, I was wearing pants and socks and shoes too. I didn't feel like I needed to itemise every item of clothing. :D

It's true! Actually, the boss was impressed because I went to the same uni he went to. It's weird what will get you a job sometimes. Also, he wasn't wearing a tie and I wasn't wearing a tie, so the tie wearers were at a disadvantage for that interview. :p

16. Perthguy

If address is that important for a job you can just be creative on your resume. For example, my aunty lives in a posh suburb and I could feasibly be staying with her at the time of the interview ;) :rolleyes:

inertia likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well you didn't say "only", so I assumed you had some sort of clothing on.

I've stopped wearing a tie for interviews mostly, it's good that a suit with just a shirt is a bit of a thing now, much more comfortable.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I thought that mentality would be incompatible with the values of the general "delayed gratification" mindset on this forum. You know that some people on this forum live in Mt Druitt and some even live in Logan?

I'm sure you made a generalised statement about the "other" people out there in Inner-city World.

19. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

So apartments are heading south...

The Bank of International Settlements has raised a warning about China. The credit-to-GDP gap has hit 30.1 in the first quarter, up from 25.4 a year earlier. Anything over 10 is considered risky.

And Trump has been having a surge in opinion polls.

Face it, we're all doomed. I'm going to spend my money on tins of bins and shotgun shells. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my bunker. :D

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What are tins of bins and why should I want one?
    I wonder how it would affect things here if Trump got in.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.