interest rate - where to complaint

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kabali, 21st Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Heaps of us have been in the same boat. If they won't give you a discounted rate, work out whether it's worth you switching. The times I switched, it was very worth it... But what says it won't keep happening?

2. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

They're betting that once they have you, you'll maybe grumble and complain, but probably won't either get a better deal elsewhere, or won't bother leaving. This probably works for 90% of people, especially if it's a new loan, at least in the near term (changing loans is often seen as a huge hassle). It's not unfair, it's business. This is how it's always been. Special rates are there to get people through the door.

Think of it this way. If you bought a dishwasher, and then in a few months found the same dishwasher on sale for half the price, would you rant and complain about how unfair that was?

3. grk349

grk349 Well-Known Member

i just took a loan at 3.9% for PPOR in Melbourne. From reading here is looks like i could of done better.

4. kabali

kabali Member

reduced home loans looks cheaper, good canstar rating.

5. kabali

kabali Member

Its funny, I did not even call Macq, but they brought down the rate to 3.89, appears on the statement, will be moving to another lender.

6. kabali

kabali Member

"Think of it this way. If you bought a dishwasher, and then in a few months found the same dishwasher on sale for half the price, would you rant and complain about how unfair that was?"

...not a reasonable comparison, imo.

7. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Just going to put this here again.

tobe and legallyblonde like this.
  8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

If a 0.2% rate difference is the most unfair thing you've experienced as a bank customer, or for that matter life in general, things really aren't that bad...

legallyblonde, Marg4000 and Brady like this.
  9. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Happened to me with Citibank a few years ago and I took my businesd elsewhere after they refused to match the rates they gave to new customers. Just vote with your feet if you really feel strongly about it.

Different rates for different customers is quite common actually. Check your gas and electricity bills, especially if you haven't signed a new one recently.

Brady likes this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Very common, foxtel, internet, phone, sporting club fees... list continues.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The problem with voting with your feet is that the lender you move to may simply increase their rates in the near future. I can show people some compariably cheap interest only rates at the moment, but there's no guarantee that those lenders won't increase those rates. I've seen this occur several times over the last 2 years and I have no doubt it will occur again.

Hence my previous suggests of understanding how your loan really compares to the greater market and fixing for a period of time to guarantee your rates until this regulatory mess passes (another 1-3 years IMO).

Eric Wu, Corey Batt and Brady like this.
  12. kabali

kabali Member

13. kabali

kabali Member

What are the ways customer protect themselves from bank?Thank you.

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Pay everything with cash, no loans.

Stoffo, Natedog and Kasi like this.
  15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

It is similar to mobile phone contracts, utility, and so on. You sign a contract, you are locked in, if you don't like it too bad, especially if the loans represent a fair bit amount of funds! They know many will not change as the break out costs will not justify it.
    Also, who said the world is fair? We cannot change the circumstances, what banks, authorities do, we can only change ourselves, our set of sails, our personal philosophy, how we think, our ideas! Change yourself and realise that it is part of life and we can deal with it in different ways, say increase your income to compensate for it (could be just one way).

kabali likes this.
  16. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

The thing with the above mentioned suppliers though, in my experience, they are more than happy to give you something offered only to new customers, provided you sign up for the required term. Eg. I signed up to Telstra internet (NBN) when it launched for $90/mth on a 12 month plan. 2 months later, they offered a new deal for the same amount of money per month, with extras like basic Foxtel channels. They switched me over no worries and just restarted the 12 months. AGL does the same for gas/elec on rates.

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The lender you move to is likely to do the same

Brady and highlighter like this.
  18. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Don't borrow money.....it's the ONLY way

Brady likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Star of David? Darlinghurstboy?

20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

No point winging :p

I just went to lock in my investment loan on P&I
    Found that all 1-5 year terms are a min of .25% LESS than my current variable rate :confused: