Interest rate drop?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 2nd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Please report back and let us know how ur interstate travels go in the near future. The virus is now starting up in major cities here. Given the start of run on supplies, i would expect interstate travel to more or less slowdown pretty soon, especially with companies getting cautious and asking employees to work from home as virus gets worse.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Ive been banging on forever about Australia’s abysmal internet and a lot of companies still adopting archaic work/life balance requiring staff in the office with no benefit but to micro manage.

I never factored in it’s other benefit to the health system. At a time like this and heck even in general flu season think about how much better and productive the economy would be if workers didn’t need to commute (like sardines!) and share office space with hundreds of people.

3. Kriv

Kriv Well-Known Member

How do you expect commercial to be impacted?

4. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

Commercial property is directly related to the economy, because if business' start to fail, the leases go down the drain with them and a commercial property is only as good as the lease.

There is a Masters site around the corner from my commercial warehouse that has been empty since they went into liquidation, it was specific built only 2 years prior. It is completely worthless (relatively speaking) without a tenant, the holding costs would be through the roof for the last couple of years.

Kriv and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Staff never work as hard from home as hey do at the office.

Sorry i have seen it in every business .

Yes a minority maybe. a Minority never the less.

spoon, Ardi and Rex like this.
  6. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Yep. Adverse commercial foot traffic, and reduced retail. Some commercial properties such as storage and warehouses may do well due to increased eCommerce. But typical commercial retail, as well as restaurants will likely be affected.

7. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

look like a world wide drop, asset price going to go nuts at some stage due to this crazy low rate
    Australia, Malaysia, US, Canada

England and the rest will join when they meet

Market expect more Fed cut next month again, get ready for the asset price run

8. albanga

This is simply because they are not enabled hence my comment "archaic".
    I 100% agree if your definition of working from home is having a laptop on your lap whilst sitting on the couch taking calls on your mobile with Netflix on in the background.

The workers we enable at home are actually more productive!
    Think no useless meetings, think not getting interrupted every 10 minutes with pointless distractions, think not getting involved in pointless office conversation and politics.
    The focus levels of a task are 10 fold.

By enable I mean ensure they have the correct desks, computer, large screen, keyboard and mice, desk phone and where applicable quality internet.
    The other major issue you might be referring to is access to companies networks and I again 100% agree if your definition is requiring a VPN to access company resources.

However if your company operates on the cloud then having access to local resources is totally irrelevant and this is where every single company is headed so again it becomes a null argument.

Give someone the correct tools and i can guarantee you working from home will yield better output.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

agree another necessity Foxtel:D

10. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Update: CUA will pass on the full 0.25% rate cut for all variable loan products (owner-occupiers and investors), effective from 24 March 2020.

11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

This is when I do my best work!! haha in between an episode of suits where someone is getting strong armed and blackmailed.

albanga likes this.
  12. albanga

Haha
    Today couldn’t have been a better example of why working at home is more productive.
    I think we had about 35 different conversations about toilet paper.

Kangabanga likes this.
  13. RoadRunnerPerth

RoadRunnerPerth Active Member

I’m a home based IT consultant and agree with most of your comments, except the last one. The cloud is still not a viable option for many companies not in the CBD/major centres. Many of my regional clients often say either the phone and/or internet regularly drops out - and internet is incredibly unreliable. Cloud simply isn’t an option. If you are lucky to have good, reliable internet - lucky you!

Don’t worry, the NBN will save them - eventually o_O

albanga likes this.
  14. croseks

croseks Well-Known Member

To any of the mortgage brokers on this forum, I just saw this ad on facebook. Is there any truth to this or is it just spam?

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 8.41.37 am.png

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Cash rate at 0.25%. I think this is it. Will look to fix in next few weeks if I can get a hold of an exceptionally low rate/s. Am willing to take the chance that rates could somehow go lower....

Never giveup and Perthguy like this.
  16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

lets see :)

ta

rolf

17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I agree. I'll be fixing very soon. I think more likely rates will go up as credit starts to crunch.

Never giveup likes this.
  18. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

New money printing program in play !?

19. Bentley

Bentley Well-Known Member

Has any of the Big 4 banks announced how much of yesterday's rate cut they will be passing on?

20. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

For variable rates CBA 0%, Westpac 0%, ANZ 0.15%, NAB 0%. Various changes to fixed rates.