Interest only Owner Occupier loan still worth it?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Proper_Tea, 10th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Proper_Tea

Proper_Tea Member

Hi,
    Inviting thoughts on whether there is still value in getting an OO interest-only loan for a property that I intend to convert to an IP in future?

I was going off the idea that maintaining the max tax-deductible debt is the way to go, however, the advice from my mortgage broker is that although this was a very common approach to do this previously, they no longer advise it.

Reasons being:
    - the difference in interest rates for a P+I OO loan, versus an interest-only OO loan, are so significant now (~1%) as to negate the benefit of doing this.
    - current interest rates are low and will likely be for the next few years, it makes an IP close to neutrally geared which then also somewhat negates the tax deducibility.
    - paying down an OO loan now can increase the amount of equity I can pull out for a future purchase. Actually, this last one is not his advice, just my inference.

So, the recommended course of action is to take on a P+I OO loan with an offset account. Although I'm no expert, this makes sense to me.

What are your thoughts, ProperyChatters?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The reason to go IO is to maximise deductible debt if you move out of the ppor and it becomes an ip.

however.....
    If the interest rate difference is 1% what it means is you are paying 1% extra (gone, no deductions) to keep the loan higher by 2% a year.

compared to going pandi. You pay 1% less and pay another 1%, but the 2% lowers the loan.

Proper_Tea likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it is still worth considering. I am not advising you to do it, just consider it.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Alternative structure = go Interest Only on the loan, stash the principal portion in the offset account, no need to 'pull equity' in future as cash will be available in the offset.
    Also works better, tax wise, as the full amount of debt becomes Tax Deductible when you move out and convert to IP. Whereas if you pull equity for deposit on the next OO purchase that portion won't be deductible...(I'm not a tax adviser so seek specific advice)
    It makes more sense to me than going P&I on a loan that will become deductible when you convert to IP but not one size fits all.

Last edited: 10th Feb, 2021
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The amount of principal you pay down with P&I repayments isn't much in the first few years. The future tax deductions you miss out on in the future are related to the principal reductions over time from P&I repayments.

The cost-benefit depends on a number of variables, it's not easy to quantify in a general sense. The actual rates, your tax marginal rate, how long it will be until you move in, the opportunity cost of the money, are all things to consider. IO loans cost more becuase the rate is higher, but this needs to be weighed against the opportunity cost.

Overall in my mind I'd just go P&I, but that's not the best answer for everyone.

6. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

IO OO loans are generally more difficult to access (some lenders still don't like this much), cost a fair bit more (big rate spread on OO loans repayment type).

Overall our book of loans, which has probably recently weighted towards 'owner occupier purchases from investment minded' borrowers, has shifted dramatically in repayment type for OO's. The vast majority is P&I given the substantial pricing difference between the two. Some investors choose to have OO IO loans though and there are some products that cater to this better than others (usually based on large price differentials). In the past, when the spread wasn't there, there was a lot more that preferred/wanted IO.

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

The typical spread I'm seeing between variable IO and P&I for OO loans is 0.50%

Last edited: 10th Feb, 2021
  8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The real market issue is that most lenders that advertise a nice IO rate dont actually do IO owner occ loans per se.

The logic in this post is at least 21 + years old, yet these lenders dont get it.

TMB came back last week with...........yeah nah, we do advertise the product but your clients logic wont be approved by credit. Much better that she pay the loan down via PI and increase her borrow cap :) for her next PPOR (client has enough borrow cap for 3 props as is)

On asking what specific circumstances would apply where owner occ IO would be approved............crickets

I guess thats why lenders direct dont have to comply with the new Best Interest Duty Laws to make sure that the borrower is provided with the product that is best for them even from the Lenders OWN product mix.

Im 100 % fine if a lender doesnt want to meet a borrowers objectives- its their money, but the ACCC would be well interested if they could be bothered around false/bait advertising.

We even have lenders who have KPIs for brokers to keep their accreditations to not have a certain % age of loans as owner occ IO........................

ta
    rolf