Interest on Borrowed Funds to Pay Stamp Duty

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Shamrock1, 20th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

If I pay a 20% deposit and Stamp Duty for an IP out of the offset account on my PPOR, assuming there are no other transactions in/out of the offset account, can I claim the interest relating to the payment of Stamp Duty? Or can I only claim the interest on 20% deposit?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No

Mike A likes this.
  3. Terry_w

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You really want a loan split. THEN draw the new amount out. This can be fixed now

5. Shamrock1

Thanks Terry. Should have clarified i have just refinanced my PPOR and now have a separate split offset account which i will ONLY use for the next IP purchase. Interest on Deposit and/or Stamp Duty deductible in this scenario?

6. Shamrock1

Thanks Paul. I have just refinanced and now have a separate loan split with offset which i am going to draw on for next deposit + maybe stamp duty. Interest on the Deposit would be deductible now wouldn't it? Just wasn't sure about interest on the stamp duty.

7. Terry_w

No

Mike A likes this.
  8. Shamrock1

Hmmm what am I not understanding? New Loan split with offset facility for the purpose of IP deposit only. Offset won’t be mixed with any private use of funds. What is the specific reason for interest not being deductible?

9. Terry_w

You need to borrow money for interest to be deductible.

10. Shamrock1

Yes it’s obviously not deductible until I use the funds. Interest only Loan which has settled and I’ve just transferred the funds into the offset so $0 interest payable at the moment. Once I use funds for the 20% deposit interest will be deductible though do you agree? If I use more of the offset funds to pay stamp duty for say $25k is interest on $25k deductible as well?

11. Terry_w

12. Shamrock1

Yes I have borrowed and parked in offset. Thanks for the link to Tip 1 this explains all sorts of scenarios re offset funds and deductibility. Is there any reason if I use offset funds to pay stamp duty i couldn’t claim the interest on the stamp duty funds?

jared7825 likes this.
  13. Terry_w

Yes - all explained in tax tip 1.

14. Paul@PAS

I also get asked if its OK to take borrowed $$$ from personal names and in place of depositing it into a trust that then buys a property - Can I just pay the solictor directly? No way. Its critical that borrowed money is always moved along the chain. Skipping steps can expose a challenge.. Yeah its not convenient but if the ATO or OSR or a court look at it and question the source and application of funds you dont want complex explanations. Keep it simple and follow the chain.

15. KayS

KayS Member

Hi All
    I appreciate that stamp duty is not a claimable expense, but is used in calculating the cost base of property.

If you borrow funds to pay the stamp duty for an IP (eg.LOC), is the interest on borrowed funds to pay stamp duty claimable?

Thanks

16. Paul@PAS

Yes. Interest is deductible where borrowed funds are used to acquire a property, pay acquisitioon costs, improve, maintain and renovate or to pay MOST outgoingsincurred to produce income. There is one exception. The ATO generally dont consider additional interest to be deductible when borrowed money is used to pay loan amounts where it capitalises. This is a Part IVA issue and may evidece a schem to produce tax benefits. Where it is a temporary basis eg COVID unemployment for example it is acceptable.

ACT duty IS deductible on acquisition.

17. Terry_w

Yes it generally would be

18. KayS

KayS Member

Thanks Paul and Terry for responses.
    Been reading up on Capitalised Interest, interesting views around. (no pun intended :)