Intercom not working

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by gnokybbob, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gnokybbob

gnokybbob Member

Hi, could anyone tell me what's the standard regulation in Victoria if there's an issue with the intercom in the units of an apartment building.

Who will need to bear the cost if the receiver intercom in the unit is not working? Owner or body corporate?

Shouldn't the repair/replacement of the unit intercom be the responsibility of the body corporate? My understanding it should be treated as a common property of the building due to the fact it is connected with the dialer on the lobby and overall infrastructure of the building?

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, BC.
    Though recently we looked at having tbe entire system in our building replaced, some owners wanted one with internet connection (can open door for kids from mobile) at considerable more cost, so they had the option of paying the extra for this handset (and in turn would then be responsible for the receiver in their unit forever).

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Owners Corp.

The Y-man

4. L Bob

L Bob New Member

Hi Y Man (understand this is an old thread) but I'm having a few issues with my OC, including in getting the intercom fixed (I can communicate with guests at front door but the lock won't unlock). Initially property manager told me it was my responsibility (although the handset in my flat works fine), and when I pushed her on it, the response I got was "other people just go the gate and open it". I want the intercom fixed (I'm a current OO, but may rent out at some point), and am wondering what my recourse is? Go to VCAT if OC pushes back again? Thanks!

5. The Y-man

@L Bob

At the end of the day he owners corp is just that - a group of owners.

So if the majority of owners feel that it is fair that EVRYONE chips in their share (even if they don't have a problem with their unit) then yes, the OC will "pay" for it.

So it may help to understand that the OC doesn't pay for anything - individual owners do. It's how you distribute the cost that is the difference - i.e. everyone chips in, some chip in, or only one pays.

Has the matter been brought up in an AGM? It can and should be put to a vote.

Property maintenance - owners corporations

The Y-man

6. L Bob

L Bob New Member

Our AGM is coming up. I am one of the only OO and get a sense that most owners are indifferent. We have a maintenance fund, and compared to other older style blocks, our OC fees are pretty high. What I'm up against though, is more owners not wanting it fixed (whereas my understanding of the Owners Corp Act 2006 is that an OC must maintain common property (not decided arbitrarily what they will or won't fix).

7. The Y-man

If they are indifferent, that is good. Bring it up for the AGM - if a quorum is not present, run a mail ballot. If a majority does not object, it shall be done.

The Y-man

8. L Bob

L Bob New Member

What happens if they object, yet under the Act they 'must' maintain common property?

9. The Y-man

Process for handling disputes

The Y-man