Insuring a property while empty and on the market.

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by peastman, 12th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

We are selling a townhouse.
    The tenants have moved out so I assume tenant insurance won't cover us anymore. Being part of a strata, the building and fixtures are insured, but not things like floor coverings and more importantly, liability if someone falls down stairs during an inspection.
    Does anyone know of a policy that covers this for an empty home on the market?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would have thought normal house insurance would cover you (but I'm unsure if being strata title changes that). When we've had houses empty for more than 60 days through renovations we just let the insurer know and they make a note. Should we have to make a claim after that time limit, the excess is higher.

3. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Public liability should be covered under the strata policy - check with the manager to confirm.

Light fittings, curtains, carpet, kitchen appliances and other fittings won’t be covered: best to keep your contents insurance policy active until settlement day.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia