Insurance Job and extra work ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TMNT, 21st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Just wondering where I stand,

got an insurance job , its quite big $25-$35k,
    they are about to start work, theyve found a room with termites quite badly, now they have quoted a price that I think is a bit excessive to fix that section to proceed, and it needs to be done to get the job done,

part of me thinks, they are ripping me off because they assume that I either dont know what the real costs are or they are putting a gun to my head,

I am tempted to say, ok i will send my own guy in to fix the termites,

however, they could refuse the entire job if I say no, or can they?

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can't hurt to send someone else to at least give you another quote, surely?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The insurer is paying them ? The insurer guarantees their work. You nominate your own repairer and they can always tell you to take it up with your choice of repairer. Do you want that hassle ?

My uncle had bad termite issues and its always very expensive as they have to allow for all the damage they cant see and expect.And the call backs etc. You might not be allowing a risk margin for all that could be wrong.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, just to clarify, is insurance paying for the whole thing or only the other part, and you are paying for the termite damage?

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

The onsurer is paying for the works except tge termites

It wasnt part of the insurance wnd theyve just found out about it once thye have started poking around

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah right, I would get at least 1 more quote from another company.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yep and ensure you explain to them who is footing the bill. Insurance quotes are always way higher than quotes to owners. The quoter knows you arent paying and pumps it up. I have a mate who made a mint from insurance work. He calls it gold plated work and has a seperate company specifically for that work. His other company quotes similar work for half the price.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sucks, but that's the world we live in.
    I don't like insurance premiums going up, people do what they can get away with.