Insurance in a rising market

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Wilko, 16th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Just wondering what others do about insurance versus market value.

I bought a property a couple of years ago for $396k and insured it for what I thought it would cost to replace at $300k.
    It's now worth $550k and obviously replacement cost would've risen significantly as well.
    Interested to hear what you would insure for?
    Was thinking $550k less land value of $150k so $400k

Is this realistic or should I be insuring for more to be safe?

Thks

Wilko

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Insuring is about construction construction, which may or may not be related to market value?

jared7825, Beano and HenryC like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Insured value should have nothing to do with the actual value- it's relevant to the replacement cost of the building and other constructed improvements on the property.

The hard part is trying to get an estimate from anyone- why would a builder waste their time right? It's a real risk too, because Insurers could accuse you of under-insuring when it comes time to claim OR you could be paying too much unnecessarily.

Ultimately, 99% of people take an educated guess. $300,000 should cover most lowset properties including demolishing- but if it was big, hightset, pool and shed, retaining, etc, all that throws extra cost in. You should get professional advice to come to an accurate figure.

craigc, Wilko, Antoni0 and 1 other person like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia