Insurance for Strata Commercial

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by CK_Invest, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

Hi - I am looking into potentially buying a strata commercial shop (rented out; not for self use)

I am wondering if it is necessary to purchase insurance for a strata commercial shop? If so, what type and what should it be covering that the normal strata should not be covering already?

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What insurances has the BC taken? (probably just building)

You will require public liability (chat with an insurance broker eg Ausbrokers or Elders).

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

If the tenants have public liability insurance is it always a requirement for the landlord to also cover for additional public liability insurance?
    It seems like doubling up a little.
    If it's stated in the lease that the lessee must indemnify the lessor against all claims, damages, costs, etc, would this be enough to cover the landlord?
    I understand if the tenant requests essential maintenance and the landlord doesn't rectify then there could be a claim, but otherwise, wouldn't it all fall on the tenants insurance?

I'm currently trying to determine whether we need to take out any insurance for a commercial strata property....

4. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

You own one of the units in the strata? If yes, you possibly already have and are paying for liability cover as one of the unit owners if you have strata insurance in place.

5. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

This is why i have a similar confusion for one of my commercial strata properties... do let us know what you find out