NSW Insurance for PPOR?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jmillar, 1st Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've just gone unconditional on a 2 bedroom unit in Sydney that I'll live in. I've had to sort out insurance for plenty of IPs but this is my first PPOR so just wondering what sort of insurance, if any, I need/should have? Given it's a unit, I obviously won't need building insurance.

Also, should I be taking out any insurance now that I've exchanged on it, or wait until settlement?

Thanks!

Admins - I wasn't sure where to post this question, so feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate section.

2. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

contents insurance. Covers personal assets and public liability

Terry_w and Hosko like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

In NSW there is no requirement to insure until settlement. (as opposed to say, QLD where you must do so on unconditional exchange)
    You’ll need contents cover since the BC takes out building cover.

Hosko and Michael Mitchell like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would check precisely what kind of strata you have. Sometimes the Strata owns and insures the entire building, but for other types of "strata", the owner is responsible for things like the roof which can cause external and internal damage in a storm, also broken glass in windows and doors etc. This can cause damage to adjoining units as well as to your own unit.

5. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Is there a requirement to insure at all in NSW?

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

If you have a mortgage, it will be a condition from the lender that you have building replacement insurance and public liability insurance. I'm not sure about a small amount of contents insurance to cover contents that belong with the building, such as carpets and blinds.

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The lender will want to see building insurance policy in place before they advance funds for settlement. This will be held by the BC anyway.
    You won't be forced to take out contents insurance.

8. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Any recommendation which insurance is worth considering for building insurance for a property in VIC - no body corporate involved.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia