Insurance for neighbours building project, accidents while on my property

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Gill Bates, 14th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

Neighbours have a significant residential renovation / new work . Apparently costing 250-300K Im told.

They want to ( and need ) to access my property.
    Since they where given council approval to construct a building that is 100mm from the boundary
    Things like framing ? , weatherboards , affix new and remove old. Roofing , gutters, windows etc
    Max building height ( 2 levels ) is about 7.5m
    They want to use 1.5 m of my property to erect scaffolding.

I said I do not not want any liability for events that happen as a result of their project.
    Events could be accidents to workers. accident to me, my family , guests . or my tenants or the property of these people. Injury could be minor to very significant..
    ( part of my property is rented to tenants , I live in another part )
    Their project is of no benefit to me at all.

If an event occurs , and I'm sued for damages, it seems I'm liable for $
    If in response to such a situation , Id have to sue neighbour or builder . Which would not be a good risk situation for me
    Neighbour claims they are unable to give me a complete "Release"

I was advised it would be a easier situation if the builder added my name to his building insurance policy. But the response was ..We will not do that"

At present I have told neighbour , no access to my property until this insurance situation is resolved.
    They have already started the project, and done significant work,
    Any insurance will form part of a "access agreement"

No one has said directly, but it seems that I am being forced to just accept this risk.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You can be listed as an interested party but not added as a jointly insured on the policy.

Your solicitor needs to draw up an access agreement and include the insurance provisions.

wylie likes this.