Insurance deductibility across financial years

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by TheGreenLeaf, 9th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheGreenLeaf

TheGreenLeaf Well-Known Member

Der PCers,

Question regarding insurance (building & LL) for an IP. The case would be as follow:
    - Sign contract of Sale mi-April.
    - Go unconditional early May
    - Pay for Building and LL insurance from early May (Not owner yet but Sale is unconditional. so better to be covered)
    - Settlement early July

How do I deduct the insurance cost in my Tax Return?
    In financial year where I sign the contract, I'm not owner of the property yet. I guess I can't claim any expense on a property I don't own.
    In financial year of the settlement, I will pay for insurance only at renewal (settlement+10months)

Can I claim insurance cost on pro-rata of the duration during the financial year (fully paid in Year N but it cover 10 months of Year N+1, therefore I can claim 10/12 of the cost in the relevant financial year)?

Hope the question makes sense...

Thanks in advance

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

the date it is incurred which is generally the time you are legally obliged to pay for it. So June in this case.

3. TheGreenLeaf

Thanks @Terry_w. But am I able to claim this expense in the financial year I paid it, if I'm not owner yet?

4. Terry_w

I think so. You have incurred an expense for a property you have an equitable interest in and plan to rent out. Not sure what the ATO's position is, but under tax law you have the ability to deduct the cost.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I can understand a building policy prior to acquisition (esp in QLD) but not a LL policy.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  6. TheGreenLeaf

@Paul@PFI Where could I get advice for my case? I spent some time on the ATO website but I couldn't draw a clear conclusion.... (or couldn't map my case to their generic wording)

7. Terry_w

You would generally go to your tax agent for advice like this. If complex a tax lawyer.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

An example of the merits of establishing a good relationship with a tax adviser who you can ask questions as they arise or at year end.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.