Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Insurance claim when there is a storm

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by joleen, 1st Feb, 2016.

1. joleen

joleen New Member

Hi All,

I own a top floor unit in Lidcombe, and due to the storm on Saturday, the roof has come off. The building is deemed 'inhabitable' and the police have closed of the area.

There is a building insurance with QUS and i have an investors insurance with NAB (Allianz). I have tried contacting both and have only managed to put a claim through to NAB.

Could you please let me know:
    - what should i look out for?
    - what documents should i provide to the loss adjuster?
    - what should i do in the interim?
    - if QUS takes a long time to get back to me could I just proceed to make repairs in order to enable me to lease the place again? If yes, what are things i should watch out for?

Thank you.

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent Business Member

While waiting for additional folks to lodge suggestions, start taking lots of photos of the damage. Even better if storm debris is also in the pics. Try to get "relative" things into the pic that clearly show the photos are actually of your building and not some other building.

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

They normally have 10 business days to respond. You should get 3 quotes and then wait for the loss assessor and but I would go with the insurance repairers as if any delays it should be on them to manage the issue. And u should be able to claim rental loss from insurance depending on policy.

4. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Contact the strata manager and tell them to sort it out, that's what they get paid for

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

^ ^ this.
    The BC will have a building insurance policy that the Strata Manager can lodge a claim with.

JacM likes this.
  6. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I have some experience in lodging claims with bc and owners Corp actually have one right now with leaks. it is a combination of both the owners Corp and ur contents insurance or tenants contents insurance keep pressuring the bc to respond otherwise in Victoria they can be seen as not acting in good faith or with due diligence if they drag it on. The decision however solely rests with the insurance company.

7. Craig Hodgson

Craig Hodgson New Member

Hi Joleen, please contact the body corporate manager so he can facilitate alt accommodation payments
    Hi Joleen,

Can you please get in contact with your strata manager regarding this issue. QUS/AIG have been liasing with the strata manager and coordinating emergency accommodation, loss of rent claims etc.

Regards
    Craig Hodgson
    QUS

8. joleen

joleen New Member

Hi there, I am having issues with my contents claim with NAB/Allianz. I have lodged the claim in Jan'16/early Feb'16, but I have yet to receive any resolution after following up every 2-3 weeks on their progress as at today. It is only in the past 2 months that I have tried to follow up with NAB/Allianz/loss adjustor on a weekly basis and am now trying to follow up with them (Allianz/NAB) on a 2-3 day basis, but I have not been provided with a response of whether it was an acceptance or reject of the claim. In fact, each time I call them, I was told that the "case was complex" and that they would have to get back to me after reviewing my case. When i called last week, they did say the case has gone to another department because the case is 'complex', that was when i was really frustrated and insisted that they get back to me by next week otherwise I'd escalate it to FOS (over the phone). I've also raised a complaint on the Allianz website and am contemplating doing the same on the NAB website too, just so that i get some kind of response.

I'd like to understand:
    1. should i just go direct to FOS?
    2. What does my NAB Residential Investor policy really cover, if it says it's covered for "$100K for mortgage protection cover", "Landlord contents - defined events contents $11K", legal liability $10mil" and "Rent default and theft by tenant".
    I was told by NAB/Allianz that I am not covered on rental losses even after the contents are damaged but my understanding another owner with a NAB/Allianz residential investor policy has received payment for his claim even though we're impacted by the same storm. :(
    3. do i need to raise another claim if there was also another storm on June 4th 2016? I've not seen any of Allianz/NAB's paperwork, but mentioned this verbally to the loss adjustor, and am not too sure if they factor that in (just want to make sure i dont lose more time if they reject the first claim etc).

Also, in a few phone calls that i made to Allianz/NAB/loss adjustor, i was told they could not review the claim without the "defect report" from strata. It was supposedly a report from a structural engineer which supposedly states that the roof was constructed poorly: Unit owners face $2.6m storm damage bill after structure deemed faulty .

However, prior to the storm on Jan 2016, our strata did organise a building consultant in March 2015 to give us a report on the building and the engineer advised that he found no defects in the building. We were trying to make sure we raise anything with the developer (which i also found out relates to BBC Development owned by Mr Ronney Oueik.. another frustration for another day.. :(.. ) during the building's warranty period.

NAB/Allianz have not rejected the claim after my claim was raised more than 8 months ago, so i am at a loss of how long this will drag on and the building is recently ready to be reoccupied. I dont believe the contents (e.g. carpets, wall, blinds, etc.) inherently contain defects, which is why I dont understand why this is even classified as a 'complex' case and no one is able to provide me an answer except that it's "complex" or that they need a "defect report". i feel like this whole process is done to frustrate or with the intention to reject my claim :( All i am seeking now is a resolution after more than 8 months of losses/stress/sleepless nights:(.

My unit is ready to be reoccupied at the end of the Sep'16 and i am now under time pressure to find contractors to paint, replace carpets, blinds, repair the interior of the apartment so that it's livable and ready to be leased out again. This is highly frusrating as I am not getting answers, or indication of when I will get an answer (or it i should buy paint and the paint myself to cut costs.. just in the event NAB/Allianz rejects my claim.. :( )

Now, I am hoping NAB/Allianz to help me with the internal repairs, with good faith, making the unit liveable again, but feel that NAB/Allianz is choosing to 'neglect' me on technicality and neglecting their duty of utmost good faith as an insurer. (despite being a loyal customer to NAB as well, referring my family members to them on multiple products...:(:(:( )

I am getting quite frustrated and I am writing this note at this hour because I am at a loss of what to do next, except to just keep calling Allianz/NAB until i get a resolution :(. My plan is to just fix up the place anyway when the unit is ready to be accessed next week, fix things up, get a tenant, minimize further losses. Do let me know if there is anything else i could/should do :(

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Phone the Financial Services Ombudsman. Ask for the name and direct phone number of a disputes resolution officer at Allianz/NAB. This way you will be talking to someone in authority rather than getting the run-around from a call centre.
    Marg

willair and mikey7 like this.
  10. Hosko

Hosko Active Member

Have you asked the if it will adversely affect your claim if you go ahead with the requirements to get the place back to a rentable condition? If the answer is no, go ahead and do this as regardless if they pay the claim or not, you will have to do this at some stage so it may as well be now.
    Best of luck getting it resolution shortly.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is the roof back on the building yet?

12. joleen

joleen New Member

hi Marg,
    Thanks for that. I was going to raise it on the ombudsperson on the day your responded but it was also the day when they finally called me to accept my claim! i will have to wait for another week or so to confirm if they are paying me from rental losses from the start of the storm though...... *cross my fingers*

13. joleen

joleen New Member

yeap it is..

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Most of the answers are probably in the PDS

I would be doing a lot of it by writing, talk is just that.

Did they write about what they are accepting ? Hope it works out ok.

Excalibur1 likes this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

100% agree with Dabbler ;)
    Any time i can see even a remote possibility of things going south, "i reject phone calls and start emailing" ( a paper trail of proof)

16. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Most conversations that you have with them are recorded. I had few instances when there was a dispute (not insurance related) and they suddenly can't retrieve the conversation. So I have no leg to stand on when I say you representative told me one thing and now you are telling me another. Now I just inform them that the conversation is being recorded on my end too. I started this whenever I have any dispute with any big company. Most of their customer service representatives take "notes". Most of the time those notes are not what we talked about.

On 3 occasions doing this saved my ass. If they don't provide written confirmation (most of them don't) I have recordings as a back up and them agreeing to be recorded and exactly what was said.

Please always get their consent and have that on the recording, if they don't consent please stop the conversation and deal through emails.